Agnostic.com
9 6

Do people in this group have high IQ's or do they pretend to have? I assume that there is no possible way to know. How does one assess it? I was told when I was 18 from the National Institute of Industrial Psychology that I have a high IQ but that I was so lazy I would not use it. Well they could not have known that I'd wake up at university, discover how my photographic brain worked and its limitations but enabling me to get the appropriate degree. Yes I shone brightly in consultancy until I was forced into corruption. But I think it was then I really showed my intelligence at age 35 by dropping out and refusing to serve the system. I knew nothing about it, not even what a 2x4 was,
but I spent 40 years out in the bush without salary or pay packets doing my own thing.

rogerbenham 8 Mar 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The actress Kate Beckinsale has an IQ in the 160s.

Mooolah Level 8 Mar 14, 2024

I think we should not hide our mental abilities amongst ourselves though one must be aware the MAGA crowd would hate us and think us stupid because we tend to have doubts. MENSA never attracted me partly because I dislike mind exercises. And I know I'm much less clever than some I have known. But it does explain why I always agreed with Glennlab! I think to have a place where one can chat is desirable.
But there are things that really worry me such many of the Christian fundamentalist views as so much display hatred. However my greatest concern for years has been Davos, Hotel Bilderberg, now the World Economic Forum. These guys I assume have amongst them some of the smartest minds ... or do they just have the nastiest minds? Or Population..When I was a Green Party candidate I could not understand why global warming was not being taken seriously. James Hansen had warned back in 1990. It appears Big Oil knew in 1970. Why was no action being take?. Why was no action being taken about global warming? Do all people in power just get there because greed rules their thinking. Why are the imminent threats not considered as important as most of the petty news we live with.

Immanent threats are not addressed as the population on the planet at 8,000,000,000+ would panic & might tip the Earth over. We would then be upside down and would fall to who knows where. I read it on the internet.

@Mooolah Incredible advice. Could have come from Weekly World News. Good use of the word incredible. How many cattle and sheep do we have? How many buffalo were there" Didthe world unbalance when the giand lizards roamed?

I have been tested numerous times over the years dating from my freshman year in high school until well into my career as production manager at a newspaper. My values ranged from 145-165, the most comprehensive test I took also measured skills. It's upper limit on mental tests was 160, I maxed all the mental tests, but scored as functionally retarded on the hand eye co-ordination and manual dexterity. Being smart is good, having experience is good, being able to use other people's experience to solve problems is better.

Being lazy and smart was a gift, I've been retired since I was 60. I am satisfied with functional verses extravagant.

I have avoided this group because all my life I was singled out as the smart kid/guy and really don't like to flaunt it.

glennlab Level 10 Mar 13, 2024

Well I do not advertise it at home. People say I'm smartbut I chose to live for 40 years (I retire at 35) as a pioneer inthe backwoods using hand tools and 18th, 19th century woodcraftmanshil which I learnt from books. I am fundamentally lazy unless I love what I'm doing Somehow Clearing 7 acres of woodland by hand twice suited me very well. Building by hand suits me.
I have never been one for mixing with the men. I'm always happier if women are present. Men boast and exagerate. Much of my life has been with a wife (3 of them) alone out in the bush.
The NIIP recommended that I do estate management. My father tore up the report but in a way that is how I lived my life.

@rogerbenham My son is more intelligent than I am, but he also got his mother's work ethic. His daughter is already showing signs of exceeding him. As far as I know he has never been tested or wanted to be. It is going to be a fun ride.

@glennlab Well the inquizative minds make great advances for humanity, though humanity does not usually use them well.

I began working at 16 for the telephone company. There was only one back then. Monopoly. I retired at 53 but not from Ma Bell. Lived below my means & took advantage of the capitalist system tho I had to change a few laws that tried to impede me. Now I have an estate to manage.

I am impressed. & I hope you are very content in your choice.

Mooolah Level 8 Mar 13, 2024

I've had a wonderful life other than being severely scammed. But I'm recovering from that. I learnt that everyone is doing the best that they can, that possessions and stuff have no real value, that love is the only thing that matters, that seeking happiness is not the way but acceptance and contentment are far more valuable ... but I'm pretty certain that I still have to learn something big. Circumstances brought lots of compassion into my life but I am missing something very big and hopefully will learn it in my remaining years.To have lived outside the system was immensely valuable. No monthly bills and not knowing what I'd be doing that day was so much pleasnt as a way of life.

I had an anaphylactic stroke & was gone for a week. My IQ went down to 127. I just read a lot, always have & try to build telomeres. Figure out solutions to problems or issues. Keeping up with science comes natural as being in the wilderness. "They" would have burned me at the stake back in the day. They may come for me yet.

Mooolah Level 8 Mar 13, 2024

My IQ is 147. Top 1%. Have been an atheist my entire life.

My IQ has been 147 since I was first tested at age 19.

I took an IQ test three times. The last time was at age 60. Same results.

I cannot say that. Too strong.I never thought about it. Being brought up C of E, belief was not so stuffed down one's throat.The church founded on letting a king divorce. When I was 15, all boys at my school got "confirmed" with the laying on of hands by the bishop. I resisted for a long time but started an affair with one of the 6 available girls who persuaded me to do it. I took communion once and realised the blasphemy and never did again. Years later in Vancouver Anglican Cathedral Choir one day, the dean addressed the choir saying that we should all take communion together. I stuck up my hand and said then I must leave the choir as I did not believe any of it. He looked around the choir and saw several heads nodding and just said forget it do as you like. Several of us just adored the singing as we sang Palestrina and Byrd and Tallis etc.

I have a new profile now, but I have read many of your posts over the years. I had to change my profile because of whatever it was that happened to the website months back. Anyway, I really thought your IQ would be higher than 150. Surprised that it is 147. Glad to see you are still here.

@Flyingdust

Thank you.

Researcher Helmuth Nyborg and Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Ulster, compared belief in God and IQs. Using data from a U.S. study of 6,825 adolescents, the authors found that the average IQ of atheists was 6 points higher than the average IQ of non-atheists.

[independent.co.uk]

Which gets very confusing as a few of the 160+ folk have professed to be Christians. But then 6 points higher just would suggest a distribution curve with an apex at 106 rather than 100. It still puts a whack of people close to 100.
As I was totally private schooled I did not ever take England's 11+ exam. Most of those who took it and failed ended up in at best craftmen jobs. A tiny percentage escaped and rose to university. I think what alarmed me were the boys from private schools who stepped out of school into money and industry. So many did not learn civility and so were well primed for industry. I remember meeting them at debutante functions and thinking Alan Paton's line adapted "God help England that has such people in it". Trumpie's lack civility or is it the Trump has groomed them?

That is really more astounding when you realize that the difference between mental retardation, (83 or 84ish), is only 16 to 17 points away from average intelligence. (100).

@Flyingdust Its the bell curve, most people cluster around the middle.

The system has worked well enough for me until the covid corruption, Which I call. unlucky situation in life by predators. I find most people fall more apart by their lack of emotional intelligence than by mental intelligence. When people are more like minded in their predominate group. For example in my art world, its two good heads are better than one and 5 heads are better than two. I stay away from the two largest scammer on the earth, banks and Governmental as much as possible. And replace them with love and work. A person can not master life unless they love their work.

I agree far too much attention is paid to logical intelligence and not enough to emotional intelligence. We are social creatures after all and if pure logical intelligence rules our lives there would be no art, just practical efficiency. Boring. Pure logic and zero emotion, that's psychopathic.
My favourite song lyric is from an Aussie band, TISM. "Even though I went to uni, at least I still know I'm dumb".
@rogerbenham No clues what my IQ would be but like you, have managed to avoid the rat race grind which was a smart move imo.

I never knew there was such a group here Roger…that is a revelation. I know what my I Q score was at 11 when I sat the Eleven Plus at school because we were told what it was, but modesty prevents me from broadcasting it here or anywhere else. I never applied to join Mensa the club for those with high intelligence quotients, although I have a high enough score to qualify for membership, as I never thought it was anything to brag about and in any case I’d rather find friends who have more attributes than merely an ability to pass a series of mental acuity tests.

Well I'm 145 but apart from choosing a wonderful life instead of gaining heaps of money in an environment that I disliked I cannot say my intelligence is special other than finding Trumpies depressing.

@rogerbenham Mine is almost on a par at 143…but some of the people I know who brag most about how high their IQ is are utterly devoid of likeability and of empathy.

@Marionville I've known at least 4 in the 160 range. I think all 4 tended to befriend the 120 up crowd (university passers).The first taught me to play chess when I was 19. I played maybe ten games after that and realised I hated it. One told me to give up windows and switch to Linux. He helped me install it and confidently assumed (correctly) that I'd figure it out when I had never learned any code. They were all likeable but remote except to a few. I think they are a bit lonely. I find that I have to talk about uninteresting stuff if I mix with many friends. A couple of them have been my best friends.

I recall seeing this group and thought of joining for some stimulating conversation, but joining a "Ooh, look at our big brains" group eg the name "Hi IQ" put me off.
No idea my IQ score. All I know is after the "aptitude test" at basic training at the Army, I got pulled aside where they wanted me to go to officers college. I declined; 9 years commitment when just 19 was too daunting for me. Ended up Intelligence Corp instead. Then at uni, had to write an application letter as a highly contested course. Once there, found out everyone had an interview, I didn't.
So I think I may be one of the shinier peanuts in the turd of life. Used to be anyway, killed a few braincells in my time 😉

@puff My sister had a godfather (presumably an ex of my mums) who was a frequent visitor to our home. When asked what he did he replied that he worked for the Home Office. Well, eventually we got the truth out of him. He'd volunteered in 1939. Went to Sandhurst and took some passing out exams. He was called in "You were incaple of putting a Thomson machine gun together yet you drew its parts totally correctly. We have place for you.". So he joined MI5 where he spent his whole career. He did admit to knowing all about things like the Profumo affair. I think at the time I was more interested in Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice Davis. But I'd often been to Cliveden as it was close.

I guess that I do not care about my IQ because I am fully aware that hardly ever have I used it. As a Architectural Mechanical consulting engineer I did make a change to shopping centre design which was universally adoptedbut my expertise was energy recovery and in 1979 there waslimited interest but they sure paid me big bucks until they forced me to break the law so I quit. Integrity seems much more important to me than to most others.

@rogerbenham Know what you mean. Working SE Asia I always used to get in the shit for standing up for my local boys (and girls) when my expat bosses got power trippy eg they wouldn't try to pull that shit back home. I was financially secure, no debt with house and toys all paid for,, which gives you great freedom in standing up for what you deem important. Too many people don't want to rock the boat for fear of losing their job, bonded to debt, but they all come up and say "Good on ya!" in quiet after.

@puff There is a song I sing by IanCampbell:

@rogerbenham You'd fit into Tasmania well.

@puff Except I'd be one of the logging protesters.I spent a December in New South Wales and hated the climate. Then a week in Perth and loved the climate. I presume that Tasmania is cooler than NSW but just as humid. I hated the humidity. Anyway, I'm about to be 77 and I;m going to die here I hope!

@rogerbenham zero humidity Tasmania. Apple growing country. Nectarines, peaches. Cold water seafood. People smile and say hello when you go to the supermarket. Logging old growth sucks.

@puff Come on, not zero. We don't even have that at -30C.Apple growing is nice. I do grow crabs here which make a nice juice and quite sweet if boiled down. Nactarines and peaches grow close to the US border but are subjects to frosts in winter. Aren't your ocean currents coming down from East coat NSW? Yes I live in a remote community with miles and chats. Logging old growth totally sucks. I hope that Canadian companies aren't raping your land.

@rogerbenham Chinese I think. Allowed by our gutless turd politicians. Southern Ocean, next landfall Antartica. Tasmania is more like NZ climate than the mainland. Shitloads of rain and forest.

Write Comment