Agnostic.com
3 3

Stephen Fry- Mythos
I'm ashamed to say that I never knew much about Greek mythology until now. It never interested me, and I probably wouldn't have bought the book if Stephen Fry wasn't the author. But I have to say that I absolutely loved it. It's the first audiobook I've bought, and even though I love paper books, Fry's voice is sublime and I can't imagine having anythign but the audio version.

HannaYou 6 July 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have this in my audiobook Want List.

Reignmond Level 7 Mar 20, 2022

The whole subject is interesting and underrated- alot in
society is based on ( directly or indirectly ) on how society
grew away from ownership & belief in our collective myths.
Why did we need myths - why did we " out grow " them;
or do we still need a comfortable set of beliefs and just made new ones. I read Joeseph Cambell , he covers alot
of the benifits and pitfalls of what happened with mythology in the past.
Good post ,thanks🙂

BBJong Level 7 July 19, 2020

I absolutely agree; it is sadly underrated. There's an interview with Stephen Fry on the Graham Norton show where he talks about how we, humans, have somehow lost our primal habit of gathering around and listening to stories. I love Stephen Fry, brilliant man.

@HannaYou AGREE ;I love his approaches to history and most cultural institutions- they ALL need an UPDATE and become more HUMAN FREINDLY🎶

@HannaYou A big issue is yhe quality and message of our current entertainments. Nearly all the old folk tales carried morality or group philosophy for living.

Awesome! I just borrowed the audiobook from the library two minutes ago so I’m glad to hear such a positive review!

kdmom Level 6 July 15, 2020

@HannaYou by the way, I enjoyed listening to Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. That one is also narrated by the author and he has a nice voice. Most of their mythology is related to food and drink, I was like “I could this religion.” 😆

@kdmom I've gotten really into Greek mythology ever since I've listened to the book, and do want to look more into Norse mythology as well. I love it all, it's like a soap opera times a thousand 😀. And anything to do with food and drink, I'm down for 🙂

Recent Visitors 12

Photos 31 More

Posted by Julie808We of Little Faith I Stopped Pretending to Believe (and Maybe You Should Too) By Kate Cohen.

Posted by dfrossI enjoyed "The Dictionary of Lost Words", a historical fiction about the creating of the Oxford-English Dictionary and the fight for women's suffrage in the UK.

Posted by ReignmondA highly biased selection.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondA short Sci-Fi that is quite good even though it will only take about an hour to read. It is also kinda cheap. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondLooking again at this book reminds me that I wanted to re-listen to it again.

Posted by ReignmondThis freebie ebook from Gutenberg Press and by the Master Sci-Fi writer Philip.

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondJust finished Bomber Mafia written by my genetic 4th cousin on both of our Fathers' side.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in about 1983.

Posted by ReignmondVery good. I have noticed that 12 step programs are ineffective. [goodreads.com]

Posted by ReignmondActually read this some time ago (46 years) while trying to figure out why I simply could not believe in Jesus or God or anything else I was being told by Bible Thumpers.

Posted by ReignmondThis is one of my very most favorite books.

Posted by Julie808I'm currently reading "The Power Worshippers" by Katherine Stewart. Is anyone else reading this?

• Top tags#book #books #world #god #novels #religion #hope #Christian #authors #writers #truth #atheism #friends #religious #Jesus #scifi #DonaldTrump #Bible #Atheist #christianity #movies #philosophy #evolution #death #earth #humans #agnostic #Russian #media #insane #grace #divine #parents #believer #fantasy #children #testament #politicians #USA #devil #hell #florida #Noah #sleep #community #ghosts #weather #humanity #kids #mother ...

Members 144Top