Agnostic.com
2 3

Poland 1939: The Outbreak of World War II

By Roger Moorhouse (2020)

"As German and Soviet forces met on Polish soil and declared their eternal brotherhood - conveniently forgetting the preceding years of rabid antipathy - Poland entered a new totalitarian dark age: a world of persecution, misery, and death. By the end of the Second World War, one in five Poles would be dead. ...

"The Soviets, meanwhile, did everything they could to pretend they did not invade Poland in 1939. ... As recently as 2016, a Russian blogger was prosecuted for sharing a text about German-Soviet collaboration in the invasion of Poland. His alleged crime was the 'circulation of false information.' "

[google.com]

nicestuff 7 Jan 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

,,,as usual--- the victor writes the history.
To actually talk to a person of that generation , though is to have a FIRST hand clearer historic insight. My father said the Polish resistance was urged to assault<than
brutally betrayed when Russia sat by and built up their position to take over EVERYTHING.
To see Roosevelt's capitulation at Volta was
another SLAP IN THE FACE.. he basically gave Stalin whatever he wanted..
Thanks

BBJong Level 7 Jan 29, 2022
  1. Two weeks after the Germans invaded Poland from the west, Stalin invaded from the east under the ludicrous pretext of "coming to Poland's aid." Poland fought a brief, hopeless battle on two fronts.

2. After Hitler and Stalin divided up Poland, Stalin rounded up and executed about 22,000 Polish officers in the Katyn forest massacre, in 1940, a crime that Stalin later tried to blame on the Nazis (forensics proved unequivocally that the Russians committed the mass murder).

3. Four years later, the German front in the east was collapsing. The Soviet army was poised on the edge of Warsaw and broadcast a call to Poles in Warsaw to rise up against the Germans, pledging that Soviet forces would join the battle "tomorrow." This was the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 (not to be confused with the Jews' "Warsaw Ghetto Uprising" of 1943).

But instead of joining the battle, the Soviets sat back and watched the Germans crush the Polish fighters in Warsaw over the course of 63 days. The Soviets refused to allow any Western aid (from the US and Britain) to be transported to the Poles. They didn't lift a finger because Stalin wanted the Germans to eliminate all the armed Poles who might be troublesome to him in a post-war Soviet world.

1. At the end of the war, Stalin invited the Polish Government-in-Exile to travel from London for "talks" about the future government of Poland. It was a ruse. As soon as the London Poles landed, they were imprisoned by the Soviets. Poland would be a Soviet puppet until the end of the Cold War, almost half a century later.

Thanks for the extra context ; the brutality is
hard to comprehend . But must be remembered.

Yes, we need to learn and think decently before judging in some way someone or something. Let us hope pseudotruths and tyranny end sooner, for the happiness of terrafamilyship. [ioananoemytoma.wixsite.com] kkkpitalism=pseudocommunism=preymonarchism=corpomafionazism=overtoxtyrannies. - Carpe diem. - Festina lente. Protection before production. Protectivity before productivity. (...) stop globabusism! viva eucratia=powerofgood!

tipi Level 7 Jan 28, 2022

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 31 More

Posted by Julie808We of Little Faith I Stopped Pretending to Believe (and Maybe You Should Too) By Kate Cohen.

Posted by dfrossI enjoyed "The Dictionary of Lost Words", a historical fiction about the creating of the Oxford-English Dictionary and the fight for women's suffrage in the UK.

Posted by ReignmondA highly biased selection.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondA short Sci-Fi that is quite good even though it will only take about an hour to read. It is also kinda cheap. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondLooking again at this book reminds me that I wanted to re-listen to it again.

Posted by ReignmondThis freebie ebook from Gutenberg Press and by the Master Sci-Fi writer Philip.

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondJust finished Bomber Mafia written by my genetic 4th cousin on both of our Fathers' side.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in about 1983.

Posted by ReignmondVery good. I have noticed that 12 step programs are ineffective. [goodreads.com]

Posted by ReignmondActually read this some time ago (46 years) while trying to figure out why I simply could not believe in Jesus or God or anything else I was being told by Bible Thumpers.

Posted by ReignmondThis is one of my very most favorite books.

Posted by Julie808I'm currently reading "The Power Worshippers" by Katherine Stewart. Is anyone else reading this?

• Top tags#book #books #world #god #novels #religion #hope #Christian #authors #writers #truth #atheism #friends #religious #Jesus #scifi #DonaldTrump #Bible #Atheist #christianity #movies #philosophy #evolution #death #earth #humans #agnostic #Russian #media #insane #grace #divine #parents #believer #fantasy #children #testament #politicians #USA #devil #hell #florida #Noah #sleep #community #ghosts #weather #humanity #kids #mother ...

Members 144Top