Agnostic.com
1 0

Coming to the end of Marilynne Robinson's Home. I might have said this before, but I'll say it again. The black sheep—or maybe the white sheep—of a family may see Jack Boughton in him/herself, or him/herself in Jack Boughton. But the difference may be that one does not believe in divine grace. (Not that Jack does, but Robinson does.) That is, not every Jack ever finds his Della. I don't know how far back in the history of narrative this goes, but both the readers/hearers of fiction and its authors want happy endings. Looking over my own work, I see that as an author I'm no different. But I wonder if there is not something basically false and wishful about the whole happy-ending thing. Even so, is it altogether a bad thing? I don't know. Maybe art ought to inspire hope. But—as much as I respect Robinson—if that's the idea, I think it would be better to seek hope in truth rather than religion. Or the (perceived) imperatives of storytelling.

AlanCliffe 7 Oct 10
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

0

Yes I agree-
I much rather KNOW I am working
without a net ,,,than race to the edge
and realize I need a more realistic plan.
Sometimes I think the religious
are comforted by "assuming" -at least religion has ALL The RIGHT answers...
and they have the right to look down on anyone that is free thinking- they are
"Lost"💚🙂
Thanks

BBJong Level 7 Oct 13, 2022