Agnostic.com
2 1

What is the best way to prevent data corruption for EXT4 filesystems? Specifically while copying. I have found out that over the years, I have several TB worth of corrupted data. I don't know if there is a problem with copying, or if somehow over time the drives themselves are becoming corrupt. I'm at the point where I need to start thinking about building another NAS storage unit, so I want to do it right the first time. I know Winblows has programs like Robocopy, and when I did some research, I found some info on how to do it in the terminal, but it was beyond confusing.

I'm missing some factory service information (not cheap at all), source code to programs I have written, some digital copies of certifications I have, videos I made, and pictures. Some of this data can't be recreated.

I have 3 NAS units (one of them I think the PSU went out on), and I do daily backups, daily redundant backups, daily redundant off site backups, and super important stuff also went to Dropbox and my Email (Dropbox is no longer free, so I can't use it anymore).

Every once in a while I get a red HD light on my 16TB raid unit. I need to get the data off these 8 drives as fast as possible!

I'm thinking about just getting a single 16TB drive because I don't think I'll be any worse off than 8 drives in RAID 0. Just get a damn good one. Plus I could do SMART data with one.

When I make a move, I want to keep the drives on the old enclosure to a minimum of on time. I have these babies on order. For cost effectiveness, a 8 bay raid with USB 3.1 is $300. Cheap 2TB drives are $50X8. So I'd be about $350-$400 ahead doing it this way. Maybe in a few months the price will come down and even bigger drives will be more cost effective. I know read and write times on a HDD that big is very slow.

Thoughts? Oh, and I think I will buy the 250 GB external SSD for new data until I can muster up enough dosh until I get a replacement for the old data.

[amazon.com]

[amazon.com]

[amazon.com]

TheGreatShadow 9 July 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know. I can't say I've ever had a corruption problem with ext4. I'm not entirely sure I'd trust USB in regards to corruption. I think ethernet with an appropriate protocol would be more reliable. I guess a big question is whether or not data is being corrupted in transit, or after it gets to the disk.

You could copy then run a checksum on original and copy, to make sure it copied correctly. I'm not sure how to do something like that automatically, but I dont' think it would be too difficult to write a bash script for it.

bingst Level 8 July 14, 2020

. . . my, my, what big DISKS you have . . . 😮 😮

Maybe he just needs to fsck his disks! 😛

@bingst . . . kicking myself for not thinking of that myself. 😛

@FearlessFly I used to chat with a guy on IRC who said "fscking" a lot. lol

Recent Visitors 7

Photos

Posted by FrayedBearAnyone using Android 12? Are you having problems with the Gmail app no longer working along with the PlayStore?

Posted by ScubaWagsWow, Windows 11 will have tiling windows. No one has ever done that before...

Posted by ScubaWagsThis made me giggle

Posted by OldMetalHeadThis is quite interesting. I knew Ubuntu would be high, but I honestly didn't expect it to be that high.

Posted by ScubaWagsApparently it's penguin awareness day today... I assume that must include Tux

Posted by hrichardson8Hey, I resemble that remark. [xkcd.com]

Posted by HiFiGuyHello, everyone! I'm new and I just wanted to say hello and share a little bit about myself.

• Top tags#god #video #computers #religion #hope #religious #reason #atheism #friends #hell #evidence #apple #chinese #environment #sex #belief #hello #Bible #media #Atheist #evil #USA #faith #world #kids #corruption #government #humans #movies #community #rights #schools #joke #humanity #China #DonaldTrump #immoral #Australia #cultural #holy #NASA #dogs #Russian #military #nonbelievers #Christian #Awe #spirit #tech #agnostic ...

Members 76Top