Agnostic.com
2 3

Did Linux Kill Commercial Unix ?

[howtogeek.com]

FearlessFly 9 Feb 14
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1

I remember installing a very sophisticated office system running under Xenix back in the mid 80's on cloned 486's having "huge" 40 Mg hard disks. It cost a quarter of the inferior Windows + IBM set up. Ah, sweet days and all done without formal training.

FrayedBear Level 9 Feb 14, 2021

Star Office :

[en.wikipedia.org]

@FearlessFly the name rings a bell but this was a specialised industry program written here in Australia by a local professor.

@FearlessFly Open Office (Libre) I've been privately using on Windows since they came came out. I even have it on my phone though it is only there out of curiosity as everything is email these days & I no longer have need for WP, spreadsheets or database. My go to writing app is Writer+ or the email program. Why complicate life when you can keep it simple - sadly a philosophy that Gates failed to understand. IMO 90% of networked and internet connected computers don't need to be.

1

Thanks for the history lesson, informative and engaging.

Theresa_N Level 8 Feb 14, 2021

. . . long live the Penquin 🙂