Agnostic.com
6 10

Voynich manuscript deciphered!?!

this is a really cool article if you're a fan of ancient mysteries. the voynich manuscript has baffled people for years.

[evolutionistx.wordpress.com]

JeffMesser 8 June 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Like so many things, bad reporting and sensationalism result in a lot of science being poorly represented to the public. The Voynich manuscript is almost certainly what the historical record suggests, an elaborate fake to part a credulous ruler from his money with. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't make any bets on it being solved. [realclearscience.com]

Druvius Level 8 July 17, 2019

We'll see. I still think it's a hoax.

Druvius Level 8 July 17, 2019

nope. it's real.

@JeffMesser There's no proof the Voynich manuscript is real, the historical record certainly leans heavily toward scam.

@Druvius nope it's real. it's an old pre-romantic language that the nuns used before italian. it's real.

I remember seeing pictures of the manuscript ages ago. Glad they have figured it out!

Hathacat Level 9 June 15, 2019

That article goes pretty deep!

MojoDave Level 9 June 15, 2019

Fascinating article. The author goes a bit far, however, in stating that this Proto-Romance was ancestor to all(?) modern Romance languages. Six hundred years earlier, French had already differentiated itself from Latin enough to be called a distinct language. The first document written in "French" was 'les Serments de Strasbourg' (842). Maybe he means only Mediterranean Romance Languages, though Portugal is not a Mediterranean country and Spanish is/was heavily influenced by Arabic.

Here's a bit of 'Les Serments': "Pro Deo amur et pro christian poblo et nostro commun salvament, d'ist di en avant, in quant Deus savir et podir me dunat...". It looks a bit like Latin but it definitely isn't Latin. I would love to see this translated into Proto-Romance just to see how they diverged.

Source:

L'Histoire d'une langue - le français: M.Cohen

amymcmxcii Level 6 June 15, 2019

yeah ... what she said! I don't know squat about language histories or any of that mess. I think of it all more in terms of cultural which I guess is early in that romantic period. My views on these topics are much more population-center oriented which was before the national borders and language became a better distinction.

@JeffMesser Language is cultural. Language is the glue that makes societies possible; nothing else even comes close in importance. The population-centres whereof you speak are the result of people coalescing aroung a common language, not the other way around.

Wild

bobwjr Level 10 June 15, 2019
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 45

Photos 169 More

Posted by PiratefishSeasons greetings, you heathens.

Posted by SurfpirateA photographic collection of pagan costumes associated with the winter solstice. [dangerousminds.net]

Posted by MoonTigerIIAncient Evenings Fun!

Posted by AnonySchmoose[cell.

Posted by EyesThatSmileThis sculptor is amazing. [boredpanda.com]

Posted by DruviusWell preserved 500 year old ship found at bottom of Baltic Sea. Way cool find, hope we have the means to properly investigate it. [sciencealert.com]

Posted by qpr81there's a small island in front of the temple site and they found artifacts even there.

Posted by qpr81there's a small island in front of the temple site and they found artifacts even there.

Posted by qpr81the hole in this image -according to the guide- was a window to let the sun rays hit a certain spot announcing the summer/winter etc.

Posted by qpr81Trajan's column in Rome. Shame they put a pope on top of it. Even though this is a monument raised over a genocide it's still something worth seeing.

Posted by qpr81Trajan's column in Rome. Shame they put a pope on top of it. Even though this is a monument raised over a genocide it's still something worth seeing.

Posted by qpr81Ħaġar Qim temple in Malta. Stunning even if a bit of walk...

• Top tags#video #ancient #world #humans #god #book #evidence #religion #religious #discovery #animals #hope #culture #kids #society #Europe #China #created #Atheist #Present #DNA #friends #death #wife #ancestors #reason #museum #truth #USA #church #parents #dogs #university #movies #burial #hell #Bible #Christian #cats #community #earth #money #children #Jesus #archeology #species #evolution #vote #relationship #beliefs ...

Members 5Top

Related Groups