Agnostic.com
7 2

I'm an old man now, but I suspect that I have ASD. I'd like to know for sure, but it seems that diagnosis and treatment are not available for people my age. I live in Kansas, where mental health services are thin, and such issues are still minimized or dismissed.

I'd like to know so I might better understand myself and the unusual struggles I've had in life. I also wonder if such a diagnosis might aid in getting coverage for assistance that I will surely need as I become less able to live alone.

Does anyone here know someone who was diagnosed with ASD or Asperger's as an adult?

OldWiseAss 7 Sep 2
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was diagnosed at the of 30, this year.

I saw a shrink at the VA about 10 years ago and even though I wasn't officially diagnosed, it was implied that I have Aspergers.
After researching it, I was able to understand my weird adolescence, why I think the way I do, and now I embrace having it.
Now that I understand it I feel like I have a superpower.

DavePeet Level 5 Sep 6, 2020

I don't need an official diagnosis, since it sounds like that won't help me with any coverage of health care services, but I would like to informally confirm my strong suspicion. I don't expect to discover any superpowers, but I would like to understand why I had to struggle so hard to do things that seem to come naturally for normal humans.

I think I'll pursue a path much like yours. I'm going to try and find a good shrink to help me with my depression, which I believe is situational, and see if it comes up. If not, I'll continue to seek that confirmation through interactions in groups like this.

Hey Dave, has it caused a lot of struggles in your life? I'm curious where I stand compared to other autistics diagnosed as an adult.

I stumbled across my symptoms as being on the spectrum at 59. I don't have a definite diagnosis. (My mistake was going thru the VA and having an old male doctor do the exam, but that's another story. )
If you are functioning now, you're not going to get any special treatment. As far as declining as you age, I would mention the concerns to your primary care physician. It's your mental state that will qualify you for help no matter what the cause is.
There is a group on Facebook of ASD people to which I belong. (There are several such groups. ) PM me if you want the name and link. It's a private group, though fairly large.

I was born in 1930 and was in my early twenties (the early 1950s) when my mother told me I didn’t talk until I was four. For info, do a search on “autism timeline”.

By the late 1970s, when I was nearing fifty, I knew the word “autism” and wss living in San Francisco when I heard that the city was starting a study to learn how a city agency might treat autistic clients. The study was looking for volunteer workers and I figured how better to learn about autism than to volunteer. i was interviewed but must have flunked because the interviewing panel seemed in a hurry to get me out of their office.

In 2013 I learned the reason both of my long-deceased parents seldom spoke and realized that my not talking until I was four might have resulted from not hearing words I could mimic. I’m now 89 and have decided to ignore the whole thing.

yvilletom Level 8 Sep 3, 2020

I know a person who may know useful information for you. I'll let her know about you and she is a member of this site.

Sofabeast Level 7 Sep 2, 2020

Thank you!

Often wondered about that myself .

Besalbub Level 8 Sep 2, 2020

About 15 yrs ago, when I was 50, I was being treated for depression, and the shrink strongly implied I had Aspergers, but wouldn't actually diagnose it. I researched it online, took an online Aspy test, and yes, I'm an Aspy! And I suddenly realized why Mr Spock was always my favorite Star Trek character! Why woudn't the shrink diagnose it? I don't know. I think she wanted to encourage me to research it myself, for whatever reason.

davknight Level 8 Sep 2, 2020

I'm 68. The two places I could find that serve ASD adults both said I was over their age limit. I talked to a therapist on the phone that said she could work with me after I was diagnosed. She talked one of the places into accepting me, but they want $1500 for the diagnostic session, and there's apparently no coverage for me under Medicare or my supplemental plan. I took an aspie test online (likely the same one you did) and got a score of 137 out of 200. That score would probably be even higher, but I think I have a black belt in masking. I've likely been doing it my whole, long life, and I don't think I'm conscious of it most of the time.

If I thought it would help me pay for some in-home help, I would spend the money, but if I'm only going to get the personal benefit of knowing myself better, I can probably get that benefit without the high cost. That's my dilemma...

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 25

Photos 18 More

Posted by nifaunWhy fit in when you was born to stand out?

Posted by altschmerzI was diagnosed with autism by a psychologist after a day of testing, but my current therapist keeps saying she doesn't think I have it (or I'm a "little bit" autistic).

Posted by altschmerzI was diagnosed with autism by a psychologist after a day of testing, but my current therapist keeps saying she doesn't think I have it (or I'm a "little bit" autistic).

Posted by MsAlAutism is

Posted by MsAlPointing out or caring about things that people dont notice or that make them uncomfortable and being labeled as unperceptive because of it.

Posted by AustinSkepticusMy brain in summary, can you relate?

Posted by mikecagainThis is my favorite quote about autism. Not sure if it's been posted before.

Posted by ipdg77The Maori word for autism is.............

Posted by LadyAlyxandrea18 years ago today my baby brother was born.

Posted by matthew1954Paper turned in by Autistic 2nd grader. Pure genius, IMO

Posted by MelissaJHHi, everyone.

Posted by JazznBluesThis is my daughter Gabrielle.

Posted by Donto101My son is autistic and a very picky eater.

• Top tags#kids #religion #friends #society #world #video #parents #atheism #advice #religious #hello #wife #movies #children #god #Mentalhealth #hope #agnostic #culture #depression #lonely #university #hell #belief #church #religions #books #reason #Atheist #book #community #psychologist #Texas #fear #acceptance #politics #cancer #mother #money #government #Exercise #documentary #mynameis #believer #divine #Diet #created #Autism #cure #media ...

Members 140Top