Agnostic.com
7 1

What do the world's richest men have in common ? Most learned things , they are voracious readers , then started their own companies , and worked long hard hours every night , with specific goals in mind .

Cast1es 9 Feb 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting, but I won’t hijack your post by discussing fame or power.

yvilletom Level 8 Apr 20, 2022

I know from experience it’s a very brutal personality type, no matter how aw shucks or cuddly their public personas are. Willing to exploit the weakest, the poorest or those not paying full attention to make a profit.

The description in this post also describes people who are small business owners, or those that tried and it didn’t work out.

Only so many can be at the very top. And I give no kudos to them.

Sydland Level 7 Feb 21, 2021

It is hard to know where to begin with this one. What you have done here is posted one of the tropes about the truly wealthy, but it is just a trope. I notice in the comments that several other tropes have been thrown around. None of them apply to all, nor are they even close to being a reasonable generalization.

In my profession, most of my clients were people of means. Some of them were exceptionally wealthy and a vanishingly small number were what could be called the average working stiff with a dream. It has been my experience that the people with whom I dealt were scattered across the spectrum with little in common except astonishingly substantial amounts of money available for satisfying their wants.

I've had extremely wealthy clients who were delightful, talented, and energetic. Some were slovenly, slow witted, and lazy. A few were insufferable boors. Others fit the tropes stated here. No two of them were what one could deem alike. Even those who came to their fortunes through inheritance were as different from one another as night is from day.

"The world's richest men ," includes Elon Musk , Jeff Bezos , Bill Gates , and the Facebook guy , who's name has slipped my mind at the moment . Not just talking about rich people . Specificallly stated , "THE world's richest men ." All four precisely fit . Just as I said . What is also true , is , if you change what someone else says to fit what you want people to think , than yes , your comment fits what you said . Just not what I said.

very focused on what they want and they let no challenge stand in the way

RoyMillar Level 9 Feb 14, 2021

All their successes were built upon the failure of others!

More a sense of timing, outright theft and stealing, pure corruption, and blackmail than being highly educated and a voracious reader!!!

LOL!

More luck than ideas.
I’m like a Wazniak in world full of Jobs.
I find people to pay for my technical interest while I sort out the bugs. For this I also let them pretend to be so much better than me, calling them boss and such.
If I could get a break I wouldn’t give them the time of day.
Just as I respect Doctors more than health insurance agents I also respect engineers more than stupid transactional CEO’s.
When we abandoned the feudal system the Nobility hid in the CEO class and still control the bulk of resources despite their demonstrable incompetence.
I despise the incompetent, which incidentally was Trumps least attractive feature. Most CEO’s aren’t much better than Trump.

That, or his really gross mushroom dick. I mean, I heard it was just awful.

And they all had a lot of luck on their sides...

But, nothing of their choice right?

@Word Correct. But you wouldn't know that because you can't be bothered to do any learning on a subject you know absolutely nothing about.

@JeffMurray what is the difference in your ideal of no free will and a "God" that is all-powerful that everything is "God's " will not yours?

@JeffMurray before, the valcano erupted because it was "God's " wrath. But now we consider it just an action of nature and tectonic plates moving.

Before. it was all about being "God's" will not ours, now we scientifically discover sparks of brain activity that IS the decision that we are unaware of and just observe the decision taking place?

@Word I can't help you learn as you have demonstrated no inclination or desire for it. Keep talking unintelligently on the subject; some of us are getting a chuckle out of it.

@JeffMurray oh, so your brain spark makes you laugh at me and you just get to sit back and observe with no choice in the matter?

@Word Pretty much. That's pretty simplistic, but that's the basic idea.

@JeffMurray you cannot help but laugh, now that's funny right there!

@JeffMurray now if you could just train your brain spark to do what you wanted. You might could just enjoy laughing all the time.

Is there any research to go about training a brain spark to do what you want it to do?

@JeffMurray just think of all the murders that could be prevented if brain spark training was possible. Then people could control the brain spark before it made them kill someone.

@Word -- Brain spark. Isn't that something like what they called shock therapy?

@evidentialist might work, but I am referring to antecedent brain activity to <perceived> volition.

@Word Even if "training" it was possible, knowing what you wanted, thinking about training your brain, and carrying all that out would also not be a choice, so you're still talking nonsense.

@JeffMurray you should think that one thru again

@JeffMurray no, I am not talking to you, I am talking to that little decision maker in your head.

@Word I'm sorry you don't understand. Talking to someone as ignorant as they are adamant is really tiring.

@JeffMurray no, I understand perfectly. I am trying to reach your decision maker to help it understand. The phrase is not very well thought out. , "Even if "training" it was possible, knowing what you wanted, thinking about training your brain, and carrying all that out would also not be a choice, so you're still talking nonsense."

@JeffMurray I know, it's not your fault. your little "decision maker" is making bad choices for you and it makes you look bad

Write Comment