Agnostic.com
0 0

A friend I met during our dogs obedience class lost her female shepherd recently at 11yo. The dog was restricted to laying on a pillow or something with pee pee pads under her and was fed and cleaned up by owner.

The dog couldn't walk anymore or stand up. Owner kept saying it was displaysia, and I kept saying it was Degenerative Myleopathy. [certapet.com]
She never confirmed that with her idiot vet (he was an idiot).

DM totally destroys a dogs spine but there is a group that helps by exchanging walkers for the rear of the dogs. My friend Margery lost her male Jack Flash, maybe 20 yrs ago and with her vet came up with medicinal relief and some dogs even walk again. Thing is that it runs in heredity. My male is from German working lines, hers from American show lines. HUGE difference. [texasshowlinegsd.com]

The issue with me is that she's gone back to the same breeder for her next pup--who knows very little about heredity and breeding healthy dogs with no chance of DM in the lines. She's one step above a backyard breeder. So when this owner gets the next pup the chances of it falling ill to DM are hugely increased. If you want to buy a German shepherd go to the AKC website for American lines that have contracts and must take back their own pups for any reason. Or if you like the German lines more look up a Schutzhund club in your area and ask the trainer which breeder is recommended and you'll get a dog with instincts to herd, intelligence to train for most anything. Not all breed of dogs have so many choices but more and more groups are going back to the origin of dogs (Shepherd=Germany) and trying to fix early problems.

Bernese Mt dogs are all over the TV in ads. They're adorable black, brown with huge eyes and are gentle giants BUT until the breeders waited for the dogs to reach a healthy age of 7 or so they do not breed them because their life ended around 6 yo from cancer. They are trying to eradicate cancer in the lines. Learn about your favorite breed before buying, make sure there is a contract involved and they take returns for any reason, if they don't they aren't reputable. Have fun introducing your pup to many other people and dogs. Make a people friendly dog and if you don't have a lot of experience get a mellow type breed.

My 11 yo male is doing well, he has a bad back from jumping to catch tennis balls so he has no idea when he has to poop and wears a diaper purchased online. He walks, runs and eats well. His only problem is the pooping thing and he's tied at night restricted to a foam mattress and leashed.

Hope there's some learning here you can use.

K9Kohle789 8 May 3
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

Recent Visitors 3

Photos 34 More

Posted by K9Kohle789I have wondered how many dogs are camera shy because I had a foster pup that I could only get pix of her running away from the camera and hiding behind a tree.

Posted by K9Kohle789I have wondered how many dogs are camera shy because I had a foster pup that I could only get pix of her running away from the camera and hiding behind a tree.

Posted by K9Kohle789A lot of people don't know about all the different types of German shepherds there are.

Posted by K9Kohle789A lot of people don't know about all the different types of German shepherds there are.

Posted by K9Kohle789The land shark has learned how to pop open the garbage lid.

Posted by K9Kohle789Well Jet is a little mischief maker.

Posted by K9Kohle789Well Jet is a little mischief maker.

Posted by K9Kohle789This is the puppy.

Posted by Kempster45Degenerative Myelopathy Anyone here ever deal with this in their dog?

Posted by LorajayMy precious Rickie was cremated 3 years ago and now resides in the urn pictured.

Posted by LorajayMy precious Rickie was cremated 3 years ago and now resides in the urn pictured.

Posted by K9Kohle789I've wanted to write a book on all I know about dogs and ownership, puppy mills, training, breeders, shelters, etc.

Posted by K9Kohle789I've wanted to write a book on all I know about dogs and ownership, puppy mills, training, breeders, shelters, etc.

• Top tags#dogs #reason #puppy #animals #sleep #hope #money #rescue #god #teach #cats #cancer #fear #movies #laws #parents #pets #anxiety #drinking #religion #video #mother #disease #children #society #death #humans #WTF #soul #religious #guns #worship #suicide #USA #separation #earth #Bible #book #fox #hospital #kids #world #existence #Israel #wife #wolves #evidence #California #limit #genetic ...

Members 21Top