Agnostic.com
0 2

The blades of the Void Strider
By
J.L. Young

The first year of the deceleration phase of a six-year jaunt to Alpha Centauri is nearing completion. The last communique of the year has been sent via laser bound for Houston. Most of the crew aboard the Void Strider are in suspended animation. Three crewmembers remain awake to function as a skeleton crew to conserve resources.

A woman rotated her seat while rubbing her eyes, “The packet is sent, Ash. Shouldn’t be long until we receive the scheduled communique from Houston.”

Ash’s thick southern drawl filled the small flight deck, “You look tired Dezzy. I know you haven’t been sleepin.’ Perhaps the Docbot can give you somethin’.”

“Don’t let him hear you call him that. He’ll suddenly forget the whole ‘do no harm’ thing.”

“Can he forget? I thought he had that,” his head wiggled with mirthful imprudence, “Eidetic memory.”

“Just how in the hell do you know I haven’t been sleeping?”

“You wear it like that uniform,” he replied.

“Is it that noticeable?”

“Sure as a South Carolina speedin’ ticket.”

Dezzy drew a deep breath, “I guess I’ll be back.”

“Might could be tomorra. If so, ‘night.”

She stepped up to a ladder and climbed it to the hub. From there, she expertly pushed off into the spinal corridor and past the cargo hold. The microgravity eased her descent toward the aft section of the ship.

In the second rotating wheel, Dezzy found the doctor making his rounds of the sleeper pods. She climbed down to meet him. “Horus?”

The doctor smiled and without diverting his eyes from the readout on a pod, “‘He hath achieved a maid that paragons description and wild fame;
One that excels the quirks of blazoning pens,
And in the essential vesture of creation does tire the ingener.’ Hello Desdemona, our fair captain.

“I think Cassio should have been with my namesake, perhaps she would have lived. But no, she was married to Othello, the man possessed by the demon jealousy.

“Indeed, but the story wouldn’t have been a tragedy,” Horus replied.

“Those were all the rage back then, weren’t they?”

His brow raised, “Still are. Did you need me for something?”

“I haven’t been sleeping.”

“Do you have something or someone weighing on your mind?”

“About 150 someones.”

“From the biometric scans of the passengers and crew, we’re all fine.”

“Even Ash?”

“I’m not qualified to diagnose Ashley’s mental state. He’s beyond the bounds of human psychology. But if I were to venture a guess, he’s fine as well.”

“Can you just give me something to make me sleep?”

“I can, but I don’t think it’s necessary.”

“I can’t order you to, either.”

“Uh-huh. However, I can prescribe an hour of meditation each night before you bed down. Let’s give that a try, Desdemona.”

“Alright,” she replied.

Dezzy opened the hatch to her cabin, slipped off her boots, and kneaded her toes into the natural green lawn carpeting the deck. She sat and crossed her legs. The breathing technique taught by a guru eased her into a meditative state.

Her morning alarm sounded. The Captain’s eyes opened and the blades she laid among were last night’s bed.

Gohan 7 Oct 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 390 More

Posted by K9JetLee999Here's the Kindle version of my latest book. If you have Prime, it's free if not 3.99. Geez I'd really like to see what it's like to earn 99 cents. [amazon.com]

Posted by ThomasThurstonA new controversial novel, Becoming Christ is released now! The novel presents Jesus not as the Son of God but as a handsome and ambitious young preacher who gets swept up in his own message, who ...

Posted by K9Kohle789[amazon.

Posted by aisha1998I against domestic voilence

Posted by RiturajRao87 NCRB (national crime record bureau) data shows 95% rape victims in India known to offenders; Madhya Pradesh tops the list. [firstpost.com]

Posted by RiturajRao87National bigotary mission (राष्ट्रीय कट्टरता मिशन)

Posted by JackPedigoYesterday was Margaret Attwoods birthday.

Posted by VadimSounds like a useful skill.

Posted by freelanceamyI'm about to finish my sample and thinking about purchasing. I've been looking at other samples on secular Buddhism and this one seems about right for me right now. Thoughts?

Posted by guntisI'm dreaming of a poetry book with illustrations like this

Posted by Jinx5555555Some people care about titles, clothes, jewelry, cars, nice homes, and such.

Posted by evidentialistNew findings from an asteroid sample. [msn.com]

Posted by evidentialist Announcement: Those of you who have joined and not yet written a bio, be aware that I have begun purging those who have not.

Posted by FrayedBearCan it be sent viral?

• Top tags#hello #world #book #god #video #friends #religion #hope #writers #books #religious #reason #money #death #hell #kids #novels #children #earth #fear #church #sex #dogs #mother #cats #movies #Atheist #humans #laws #poetry #sleep #parents #wife #Song #relationship #coffee #Christian #atheism #agnostic #truth #Jesus #animals #Police #DonaldTrump #society #Present #guns #beliefs #dream #existence ...

Members 1,188Top