Agnostic.com
1 1

Safety
By
J.L. Young

I could see the dance of the firelight through my eyelids. The heat of the flame stung my face. The sickeningly sweet scent of Brylcreem, leather, and exhaust churned my stomach. I must’ve shifted because somebody took notice. A Boston accent rang out, “Hey! The bastahd’s awake.”

“Good job, Mass. Have some cake. I got it from here.”

“You sure, Westbrook?”

‘Surely, they’re using aliases.’ I thought.

“I’m sure.” I felt a square-toed boot push me over. A greaser with a duck-ass haircut came into view. He was eating ice cream from a black tub. “Looks like you’re about to have a party. Where was my invite?” He looked at the label on the tub, “Burgundy Cherry, how did you know my favorite?”

“I know why you’re here. Whatever you do to me, it won’t change my vote tomorrow.”

“A man of integrity is hard to find in your profession, Senator. You must feel rather proud of yourself.”

“I’m just doing my job.”

“Yes, doing what your constituents want. That’s how it works. To quote Tacitus, ‘The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.’ But you don’t care for your safety. That’s what makes you dangerous. I know people like you, Senator. You follow the formula, even if you realize it or not. As a boy, you grew up hearing you’re destined for great things. You believe it down to your very soul. Then as the formula dictates, you find a skirt, and the biological imperative dictates your actions. Nine months later, you have a bouncing baby girl and a deceased wife. How old is your girl now, twelve? Thirteen? A veritable woman. I assume you care a great deal for her safety, Senator.”

My arm shifted from beneath me. From my proximity to the fireplace, I expected my hand to hit the tools. Alas, they were missing. I turned my bleeding face towards Westbrook. He took delight in the treat. My hand shot into the fireplace and gripped an ornate andiron.

I stood over Westbrook when the smell of searing skin brought to my attention the andiron was still in my hand. I dropped it on his chest as the pain took hold. I had crushed the side of his head.

Mass looked up from stuffing my daughter’s cake into his mouth. I took to the mantle, procured my 1911 from its box, and aimed it at him. My hand shook from the pain as I disengaged the safety.

“I was just fawllowin’ ohdahs,” he mumbled.

The report attacked my ears as Mass fell over in the cake. His weight pulled him to the kitchen floor. My pistol fell from my blistering hand.

When I realized what had happened, an hour had passed. I telephoned the police.

I arrived at the Capitol building the following morning and submitted my vote. The news of the law declaring war on the mob had passed.

For her birthday, I took my daughter to watch NASA launch a satellite into orbit. I hope it’s something she will never forget.

Gohan 7 July 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry the thug mess up the cake. But he got what was coming to him. Great little story.

mischl Level 8 July 10, 2021

Thank you.

Recent Visitors 6

Photos 390 More

Posted by K9JetLee999Here's the Kindle version of my latest book. If you have Prime, it's free if not 3.99. Geez I'd really like to see what it's like to earn 99 cents. [amazon.com]

Posted by ThomasThurstonA new controversial novel, Becoming Christ is released now! The novel presents Jesus not as the Son of God but as a handsome and ambitious young preacher who gets swept up in his own message, who ...

Posted by K9Kohle789[amazon.

Posted by aisha1998I against domestic voilence

Posted by RiturajRao87 NCRB (national crime record bureau) data shows 95% rape victims in India known to offenders; Madhya Pradesh tops the list. [firstpost.com]

Posted by RiturajRao87National bigotary mission (राष्ट्रीय कट्टरता मिशन)

Posted by JackPedigoYesterday was Margaret Attwoods birthday.

Posted by VadimSounds like a useful skill.

Posted by freelanceamyI'm about to finish my sample and thinking about purchasing. I've been looking at other samples on secular Buddhism and this one seems about right for me right now. Thoughts?

Posted by guntisI'm dreaming of a poetry book with illustrations like this

Posted by Jinx5555555Some people care about titles, clothes, jewelry, cars, nice homes, and such.

Posted by evidentialistNew findings from an asteroid sample. [msn.com]

Posted by evidentialist Announcement: Those of you who have joined and not yet written a bio, be aware that I have begun purging those who have not.

Posted by FrayedBearCan it be sent viral?

• Top tags#hello #world #book #god #video #friends #religion #hope #writers #books #religious #reason #money #death #hell #kids #novels #children #earth #fear #church #sex #dogs #mother #cats #movies #Atheist #humans #laws #poetry #sleep #parents #wife #Song #relationship #coffee #Christian #atheism #agnostic #truth #Jesus #animals #Police #DonaldTrump #society #Present #guns #beliefs #dream #existence ...

Members 1,190Top