Agnostic.com
4 2

Sisyphus’s Rock
By J. L. Young

Raindrops clung to the restaurant window. The sound of coffee being poured into a young woman’s cup doesn’t draw her attention. The yellowed light across the street fought against the churning fog. Her hands cupped around the ceramic to absorb any heat that filtered through it. She withdrew her gaze to take a sip.

The explosive clank of the door being aggressively opened drew her attention. A man with a shotgun wearing a balaclava stormed in. He threw a wadded-up grocery bag at the hostess and yelled, “Open the register and put all the bills in the bag!”

With a cold demeanor, the young woman asked, “Isn’t that balaclava itchy?”

He swung the shotgun around toward her. She looked out the window while taking a sip of her coffee. Taken aback by her nonchalance, he said, “What the hell? Can’t you see I got a gun?”

“Uh-huh,” she affirmed into her cup as she took another mouthful and swallowed. “S&W 916. Sisyphus’s rock. A fine choice,” her sarcasm was applied liberally.

“Get up. Get over here!”

“Sure,” she slid out from the booth and stood where he gestured.

He pressed the barrel against the young woman’s chest and looked at the hostess, “There can’t be that much money. What’s taking so long?”

The young woman grabbed the barrel with both hands, slammed the butt against his chest, and yanked it free of his grip. His bloodshot eyes opened wide as she swung the shotgun baseball-style connecting with his cheek. He fell as a shell ejected from the receiver and danced on the floor beside him.

She looked down at the man lying unconscious against a self-serve ice cream freezer and pulled the balaclava from his head. “There, isn’t that better?” A phone had fallen from his pocket during the pummeling. The young woman quipped, “Ah, a mobile device. Fancy that.” She retrieved it and activated it.

The corner of her lip raised slightly, “No security. Does your idiocy have no end?” She tapped the phone four times and brought it to her ear, “Hi, I’d like to report an attempted armed robbery at the Star Diner on fifth and Star.” She hung up, wiped the screen with her sleeve, and held it at arm’s length, and dropped it. Then she wiped the shotgun.

The young woman turned to the hostess, produced a couple of dollars, and put them on the counter beside the register before walking out and disappearing in the dense fog.

Gohan 7 Dec 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good point, thank you. Protection over living your own life doesn’t sound the best. Or that’s what I got out of it.

I like it !
When's her next adventure??? 🙂

Buddha Level 8 Dec 11, 2021

Good writing. I got a bit confused at first between the young woman and the "hostess." What role does a "hostess" play in a restaurant. (I'm American.)

mischl Level 8 Dec 11, 2021

i wo't mess with her

TheDoubter Level 9 Dec 11, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 12

Photos 390 More

Posted by K9JetLee999Here's the Kindle version of my latest book. If you have Prime, it's free if not 3.99. Geez I'd really like to see what it's like to earn 99 cents. [amazon.com]

Posted by ThomasThurstonA new controversial novel, Becoming Christ is released now! The novel presents Jesus not as the Son of God but as a handsome and ambitious young preacher who gets swept up in his own message, who ...

Posted by K9Kohle789[amazon.

Posted by aisha1998I against domestic voilence

Posted by RiturajRao87 NCRB (national crime record bureau) data shows 95% rape victims in India known to offenders; Madhya Pradesh tops the list. [firstpost.com]

Posted by RiturajRao87National bigotary mission (राष्ट्रीय कट्टरता मिशन)

Posted by JackPedigoYesterday was Margaret Attwoods birthday.

Posted by VadimSounds like a useful skill.

Posted by freelanceamyI'm about to finish my sample and thinking about purchasing. I've been looking at other samples on secular Buddhism and this one seems about right for me right now. Thoughts?

Posted by guntisI'm dreaming of a poetry book with illustrations like this

Posted by Jinx5555555Some people care about titles, clothes, jewelry, cars, nice homes, and such.

Posted by evidentialistNew findings from an asteroid sample. [msn.com]

Posted by evidentialist Announcement: Those of you who have joined and not yet written a bio, be aware that I have begun purging those who have not.

Posted by FrayedBearCan it be sent viral?

• Top tags#hello #world #book #god #video #friends #religion #hope #writers #books #religious #reason #money #death #hell #kids #novels #children #earth #fear #church #sex #dogs #mother #cats #movies #Atheist #humans #laws #poetry #sleep #parents #wife #Song #relationship #coffee #Christian #atheism #agnostic #truth #Jesus #animals #Police #DonaldTrump #society #Present #guns #beliefs #dream #existence ...

Members 1,190Top