Agnostic.com
4 6

As few as 600,000 - to as many as 10 million - women - were killed since this decree - by the legal persecution - as of this decree from the Pope in 1484.

Robecology 9 Dec 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And in Africa, there are still religions that castrate the genitalia of women out of their beliefs… 😩

Ask them and they'll tell you it's for ''health'' reasons! Meanwhile, giving birth for these poor women is horrendously painful and causes severe problems. AND...it's not just a ''religious'' thing! Women in more remote tribes still do it, because of ''custom.''

@LucyLoohoo You’re absolutely right. 👍 Many African countries are still dominated by many customs that hinder their growth and are a danger to it’s people. 😩

@RusselHappy Whenever I'm there....I see a woman in ''traditional'' dress and think...."Did they mutilate you?" Will they do it to your daughters?" :-{

@LucyLoohoo A very frightening thought 💭 indeed 😐

@RusselHappy In all my years of travel...I've been able to strike up an immediate/brief connection with other women. On a bus/a boat/train, etc...we can grin, smile at their children, etc. But..in Muslim countries, where women are veiled...they won't even look at me. And THAT is SAD! They're so conditioned...

@LucyLoohoo In certain muslim countries, non-believers have been jailed and are believed to be even executed by the muslim government. It’s a good thing you stayed safe in your travels to these muslim countries. As for me, l wouldn’t even try to go into one. I would find it very hard to lie about my negative beliefs in a deity.

@RusselHappy Sometimes, we have to balance risk with reward. I wanted to see orangutans in the Bornean forests...and probosis monkeys in the trees. I wanted to visit Madagascar,, and Petra and Lamu and Zanzibar....

I've always dressed very conservatively, kept my head down, etc. And It's been SO worth it!

@LucyLoohoo Wish I could be a world traveler too like you. How lucky you are to see new places. As for me, I’m just too scared to go to countries where I don’t know the language and customs. Hope you have more adventures soon!

@RusselHappy My suggestion would be to travel with at least one friend, to remember that most people are basically friendly and smiles will get you a positive response. I traveled in a group of like-minded women (although my brother & I shared a room) and we had a good travel agent who got us group prices. You're in a good part of the world to begin....Southeast Asia. Go to India! And if you're in India...go to Nepal! They're fascinating!

@LucyLoohoo Will keep your suggestions in mind. However, I do have a question: How did you overcome the language barrier with the locals? Can you converse with them in English? Do most south asians speak in English. As you can see, I’m mainly traveling back and forth between the Philippines and Australia because of my circumstances. It would be good to know from someone as world-traveled as you. 👍

@RusselHappy ( Laughing because I've embarrassed myself more than once, using language poorly. .In Southern Mexico once, I stumbled all over a word and tried to apologize. That's when I tried to GUESS and learned the hard way that ''embarrasada" means PREGNANT. 🙂 But, I made a couple of friends.)

My serious advice is this....when you first arrive, try to hire a local guide (LEGITIMATE, OK?) and take a note pad along, writing down useful phrases, such as "please, thank you, where is the bathroom?, where is_____", etc. The people at the hotel/lodge can help you find a local guide. Try to have a list of things you'd like to see and then let them suggest others. The reason I suggested India is...most everyone speaks English and they have wonderful, vibrant temples, forts, markets (you MUST go to a market--I insist!) and so on. By the way--I envy your visiting Australia....that's the very last place on my ''want to see'' list. Just haven't made it YET.

Realize, too, that some languages are beyond ''guessing''....Russians, Chinese, Mongolians...all told me to just NOT try speaking it because their language is too far away from mine to be understood. The Chinese language is nearly all mono-syllables. I remember being told that, for example, the Chinese word ''ma'' has FIVE different meanings...horse, mother...and I've forgotten the rest. But the meaning is expressed in intonation....so...don't guess. ASK. 🙂

If you make a sincere effort with ''please, thank you, where can I get a meal?, where is the bathroom?" and apologize all over the place if you use the wrong word....people will like you and help you. Food vendors will give you words, so will cab drivers....I've even asked children who were GAPING at my blonde hair and blue eyes. Pointing to pictures and asking "please...what is this?"
It works.

Having re-read this...maybe China's not the best place to go these days. Seriously, you might be detained as some kind of SPY. Have you been to Singapore? FUN! Amazing stores, vibrant city, some Hindu temples that are interesting. Good for two or three days....get your feet wet, so to speak.

@LucyLoohoo I really do appreciate the fact that you took the time to give me a long and concise reply, very informative indeed. Australia is a land of many immigrants with varying cultures. You’re right to say that India and its people are an interesting lot.

I have known a lot of Indians in Australia and they are very nice people. I even treat my old Indian neighbor as an adopted father. He and his wife would often bring me food and have helped me in my most troubled times.

Though I would like to follow your advice and travel, I’m afraid that as of the moment my schedule is fully booked with taking care of my mother, maintaining a website and trying to establish a startup company.

But I do envy you being a well traveled person and l do plan to implement your advice in the future. Maybe someday I will also have interesting stories to tell you just like your interesting stories. 👍

@RusselHappy Let's hope so! Life can take us by surprise, sometimes. Don't give up hope, ok?

@LucyLoohoo Will do! 👍

Such a sad real part of history that is not taught in classrooms or catechism, at least not in any real way.

If I were to repost this meme, which I also saw on Facebook this morning, my Catholic friends and relatives would either not believe it (considering the source, they'd say) and if they did, they would drop me for bringing it up. Old news, they would say, yet they continue to tithe to the church and consider me a black sheep and lying infidel for saying no to religion.

I'm so glad FFRF reminds us of these atrocities to help us keep up the fight from religious extremes in any way we can.

Julie808 Level 8 Dec 5, 2022

Christians have found more modern ways of persecuting women...

racocn8 Level 9 Dec 5, 2022

on the bright side it seems to have solved their witch problem.

How do you figure? I think it was just a way to attack recluse/unattractive women. I think it's still an issue today....although they're no longer called "witches" nor decreed to be put on trial. Monly Python did a funny bit about this;

Note how the video starts...with "Monks" (or some obviously religious group) smacking themselves with pieces of wood...in unison...of course!

@Robecology I know real people suffered tremendously but nada anyone can do about it now. Just a little levity for a horrid chapter (among many) in human history>

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 17

Photos 377 More

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDangerous, indeed.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyOn March 25, 1934, feminist leader and journalist Gloria Steinem was born in Toledo, Ohio, to Leo and Ruth (Nuneviller) Steinem.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWisconsin Supreme Court is right to limit religious exemption.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyGood job!!!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyJames Taylor - Atheist On this date in 1948, musician James Vernon Taylor was born in Boston, then grew up in Chapel Hill, N.

Posted by RobecologyHappy Birthday "meat head"! Rob Reiner's birthday in today, March 6, 1947. Here's his wiki bio;[en.wikipedia.org] and here's his Twitter "freethought"

Posted by RobecologyA short-lived agnostic; Rosa Luxemburg was born March 5 1871. Here's her bio; [en.wikipedia.org] and here's her "Tweet" from FFRF;

Posted by RobecologyI've been out of sorts; recovering from a fall and stroke; but here's an Agnostic American known as Natalie Angier, who had a birthday February 16th (1956) here's her Wiki bio; ...

Posted by RobecologyYesterday, Monday, February 12, was the birthday for Judy Blume! born February 12, 1938 A very important Agnostic!

Posted by RobecologyYoung Charles Dickens only lived to be 58 years old; yet was an agnostic of great influence! February 7 is his birthday! Here's his Wiki bio; [en.

Posted by RobecologyThomas Paine; born a "Pain".

Posted by RobecologyHappy 95th Birthday Jules Fieffer! An agnostic who still "rocks"!! [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by RobecologyGood morning fellow Agnostics! Home from the hospital after several days.

Posted by RobecologyHappy January 14th birthday, Mr. Bond! [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by Robecology Ethan Allen; known mainly for his reaching a "Colonel" ranking in the American Revolutionary war - was also an Agnostic; [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by RobecologyHappy Birthday, Agnostic Carl Sandburg! [en.wikipedia.org]

• Top tags#agnostic #religion #religious #god #FFRF #Atheist #church #video #hope #atheism #world #money #Christian #book #laws #relationship #reason #Catholic #beliefs #community #Bible #politics #government #freedom #rights #existence #USA #Jesus #evidence #memes #belief #movies #parents #writers #hell #sex #books #kids #SupremeCourt #prayer #wife #death #Police #heaven #republicans #Texas #freethinker #faith #created #DonaldTrump ...

Members 647Top

Moderators