Agnostic.com
3 2

Question: In determining if one violates the Golden Rule, who determines it, the person who imposes the action or the person upon whom the action falls?

Here are four statements of the Golden Rule. They should be equivalent.

Do to another what you would want the other to do to you.
Don't do to another what you would not want another to do to you.
Live harmoniously and responsibly.
Live and let live.

SunshineEast 5 Sep 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Memes are what I'm thinking...Here's my favorites on the topic;

Robecology Level 9 Sep 13, 2022

You bring up very good points.

freedom41 Level 9 Sep 11, 2022

The golden rule is that no matter how hard you try you're a bad influence on everyone around you. That's why they say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Once you accept this you won't be so broken hearted when people close to you tell you how you held them back too much or pushed them too far. When you have children that are young adults they'll explain nuance by nuance exactly how and why you're an evil bitch. They'll never know the nights I was up late because I can't sleep worrying about them, the behind the doors arguments with teachers and coaches on their behalf.
Now I understand why I hated my Dad, it's a family tradition, my Dad hated his Dad.

If I understand your comments correctly, you are telling me that you determined what was in the best interest of your child and acted accordingly. Was that not your responsibility as a mother? At some point in time, you began to defer to your child. Yes? No?

What about when you were interacting with equals? Did you impose upon them with what you thought was "right" or did you defer to what they thought was "right"?

@SunshineEast You miss the entire point.
This life has no right answers.
The path forward always seems to be blinding us to correct action only because we refuse to accept that there is no right action.

@Willow_Wisp But we are forced to make decisions. We do make them based upon what we know at the moment. We can't undo them. The question is, "What do we call upon when we make decisions?" Does one believe that they have all the answers and, therefore, they will decide what is "right" or "wrong" or do they defer to the other? I find myself often in the situation where I "see" things that others don't. I was a change agent. Now, I see a natural world with rights, a morality and Golden Rule. It is based upon observations and inductive reasoning.

@Willow_Wisp When my children were over 30, I came to the place where I always remind myself that I loved unconditionally, without expectation of return, and if their perspective is that I was not a good enough mother, they are old enough to figure out how to get past it. Every mother is as good a mother as she is capable of being, with the tools she has at her disposal. Some mothers have more and better tools than others. I think my tools were more than adequate. I approach others with the same basic philosophy. I do the best I am able to do. If anyone has a problem with me, they need to initiate a rational discussion. If we cannot come to a meeting of minds, we can still be cordial and respectful. I am often successful at that, but not always. We both need to be able to get past it.

@SunshineEast I thought the same when I was delusional. Everything you do is good to some and bad to others and not in some esoteric spiritual or occult way. Your special insights are the same as the special insights of everyone else, no one is as clever as they think they are, and only the wise are humbled by realizing their profound ignorance of everything, including the arrogance of believing yourself to know the right action. You will simply take action, you may not find out until years later whether the action was good, bad, or neutral, if you ever find out at all. Yes, everyone makes decisions every day, most believe their actions are right. I try to make good choices and in my way I do ok... but the person taking the actions shouldn't judge those actions, the people affected should, and they deserve the respect of being heard out.

Recent Visitors 25

Photos 191 More

Posted by johnnyrobishWell, somebody had to do it!

Posted by WalterGreensTo every one out there!

Posted by LenHazell53Well would you look at that, and who posted it

Posted by Mike-IMAOpinions base on facts and evidence can change the world.

Posted by ChrisAineWhere is everybody? Don't tell me y'all caught up with Xmas festivities. Anyway Merry Christmas free thinkers. May you get a kiss under the mistletoe..😊

Posted by ScribblerWhy is everyone leaving?

Posted by AryabratIsn't this the most logical and simplistic way to dismiss a fictitious superpower/hero? Or is there anymore way?

Posted by AvaBunWhat are your thoughts?

Posted by terenaskawsHow passionate are you in creating?

Posted by SpinlieselToday, in 1872, the last Indian war east of the Mississippi ended with the capture of Black Hawk.

Posted by SlarsAnother throw back from my orange years.. mad to think they essentially just paid us to play with big toys all day fun job...

Posted by AnabuceriasPhoto is worth 1000 words.

Posted by bobwjrThat's this group

Posted by TourirstMIA: Missing in Administration. I have posted this, twice and of course, it slides under the radar, understandably as Admin has left the building for good?

Posted by LorajayThis is a wonderful way to live as long as you take care of the necessities of providing for food and shelter first.

Posted by phxbillceeCongratulations, @Marionville on reaching Level 10!!!

• Top tags#god #hello #religion #world #video #religious #reason #atheism #hope #friends #truth #money #Atheist #humans #children #DonaldTrump #belief #Bible #laws #death #society #earth #church #faith #animals #agnostic #book #hell #fear #existence #government #Christian #philosophy #kids #freedom #evidence #beliefs #youtube #movies #freethinker #created #soul #religions #spirit #evil #sex #pray #Jesus #believer #Present ...

Members 2,654Top