Agnostic.com
11 10

As an introvert, how do you handle the awkward situation when someone invites you to a party, dinner or random get together? Do you accept the invitation and suffer through it, or fess up and tell the truth? People can take only so many "Sorry I'm busy that night" responses before they start taking it personally.

I decided to finally come out of the closet. Instead of trying to come up with some convoluted excuse for why I can't attend. I've decided to tell people the truth and say....

"Thank you so much for inviting me, but I am confronting the fact that I'm an introvert. Social situations are uncomfortable for me, and I prefer to avoid them". I'm kind of surprised at how understanding people have been. One friend said "Oh that's right, I forgot you don't like people"...and I replied, "I like people. I just prefer them one at a time."

TheoryNumber3 8 Dec 4
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honesty is the best policy!

AnneWimsey Level 9 Jan 13, 2021

When I was a child if I ever got into a room where there were more than four people I would get nightmares and the hot sweats. There was a mountain that was going to get me and hurt me. This went on for years and I finally out grew it. I think the reason for this had to do with a friend of my mothers who would let me sleep in her lap in the middle of the party, or wherever the couch was. I volunteered for a part as an extra in a movie and I came to have the same attack, I told the person who I was to answer to that I had a condition where I just start to freak out and get sick. I made my excuses and left, everything was OK. Some times it is hard because you think you are letting someone down, or not participating as you should for a friend or acquaintance.
I am having some trouble explaining further as there is more to the story than I am letting on. I think the best thing that can be done is to be honest with yourself and do what makes you feel the best.

I explain I am not anti social, I am just NOT social.

Mooolah Level 8 Jan 13, 2021

I'm social, as long as I know there's no commitment as to the length of time I have to stay. But parties, dinners, weddings, stuff like that where you're stuck for hours... I don't want to go

I usually slip out a side door and vanish, about halfway through it. (Anyone else do that?).

davknight Level 8 Jan 6, 2021

On the rare occasion that I get invited to a party, I make every effort to go. It's nerve-wracking and anxiety-producing but I go. Sometimes it's fun. I think things can be anxiety-producing and fun at the same time.

i'm that way too. or you cam make a quick appearance and then leave -- with a prefabricated excuse

Yeah, I've been doing that for years. I finally decided I'm going to stop worrying so much about other people's hurt feelings and worry about my own. The nerve of them... inviting me to a party I don't want to attend LOL

Are there any other dogs coming so it doesn't look like I peeded in the corner?. (even if I did)

So you're the culprit!!!!

I love small groups, but hate large, noisy gatherings. My work has often entailed attending large functions, but fortunately it also meant I could usually invoke some reason for not staying too long.
In small gatherings it was the hosts who had to think, desperately, for a reason to throw me out!!

Petter Level 9 Dec 5, 2020

I rarely had a problem with client business functions I was required to attend. That was work. But social functions where I had to be me, and not my role as sales person, were more challenging. And my own company's functions were the worst!!!

@TheoryNumber3 These tended to be cocktail parties attended by government ministers and directors or executives of other companies, etc.
Really tedious, boring and artificial.

@Petter :::: snooze::::: I hear ya

Because I don’t want people to make the assumption later on that they shouldn’t invite me, I just handle each invitation individually. It may be something I really want to do or someone I want to see for other reasons. It makes it easy right now because invitations are few and far between.

Feel free to drop by any time you're passing. It's only a 4,350 miles or so detour on your way to work.

it's that old refrain..... I want to be invited, I just don't want to go

@Petter I will call work and let them know that I will be late!

@EyesThatSmile I'll put the coffee on. Hope you can stay for an early lunch.

I try to drink my way through it.

Well done . I find that unless I really work at trying to make friends , everyone pretty much leaves me alone . And even then , when I work at making friends , it seldom works . Having aquaintances , is not the same as having friends .

Cast1es Level 9 Dec 4, 2020

That's exactly right. I'm very friendly, but protective of my space. I have to keep certain people at arms length because they invade my physical and mental space.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 50

Photos 852 More

Posted by TheoryNumber3In honor of Eclipse Day.....

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI’m perfectly happy so must be something wrong…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIntroverts. Creatures of the Night!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t ring my doorbell!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by FrostyJim...I have a lifetime membership.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

• Top tags#friends #video #world #religion #god #hello #religious #hell #hope #relationship #Atheist #anxiety #money #reason #cats #truth #book #kids #dogs #introvert #Bible #children #humans #church #memes #fear #lonely #guns #wife #books #mother #Song #beliefs #laws #community #animals #sleep #Christian #Friday #movies #media #TheTruth #DonaldTrump #advice #faith #sex #parents #evidence #belief #coffee ...

Members 1,994Top

Moderators