Agnostic.com
2 2

I find this article about the social motivations of violence against LGBTQ+ people in America to be persuasive. Then there is the context of conservative xtianity, amen? [pbs.org]

tactic8 4 Mar 4
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This article takes a lot of words to state what is, ultimately, common sense for the already-enlightened. That is often what research articles do. At least it spells its findings out in such obvious, easy-to-follow reasoning that the reader is left to regard the conclusion as obviously correct.

As mentioned by others already, it totally ignores the important role of anti-queer religious indoctrination. But I am at least somewhat convinced that religion, though a highly effective tool for reenforcing prejudice and hate, may not actually be the ultimate source of motivation for such prejudice. That source, may indeed be as the author suggests, our culture's reverence for toxic masculinity values and its emphasis on rigidly segregated gender roles. Religion itself becomes shaped by those cultural values to be used as a reenforcing "weapon" in that campaign. Chicken, meet egg.

@TCorCM okay....such as?

@TCorCM that appears to be the definition: consider, from the New York Times article,

[So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

[nytimes.com]

• Suppressing emotions or masking distress

• Maintaining an appearance of hardness

• Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)

In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak. (No, it doesn’t mean that all men are inherently toxic.) ]

With respect, there is no contextual religious aspect to this informative analysis.

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 269 More

Posted by snytiger6Coming out ...

Posted by snytiger6Larissa awakens Christmas morning to find ...

Posted by CliffordCook([iowafaithleadercoalition.

Posted by snytiger6Victoria's Secret model, huh ...

Posted by snytiger6I come in peace ...

Posted by snytiger6You need to find peace with your uniqueness...

Posted by snytiger6The only choice made was to be myself...

Posted by snytiger6The day you graduate from...

Posted by snytiger6Trust me. There is no other man...

Posted by snytiger6The bible belt...

Posted by snytiger6Condiment come out...

Posted by snytiger6I think the pastor is coming out...

Posted by CeaselessmindIt works best when you can take a bigoted letter and throw it right back in their faces! I fuckin love whoever did this!

Posted by snytiger6My artistic idol...

Posted by snytiger6You, religions and the holy book

Posted by inigomontoyaI identify as bigender. Most LGBTQ+ people don’t even know what that is. 😂

• Top tags#gay #video #community #transgender #friends #gender #sex #god #hope #DonaldTrump #religion #LGBT #rights #world #religious #relationship #queer #nation #Christian #marriage #children #kids #money #laws #Atheist #church #parents #hello #reason #book #wife #ComingOut #Identity #dogs #Catholic #Jesus #Bible #films #Song #movies #Police #republicans #atheism #vote #death #society #culture #homosexuality #Christians #mother ...

Members 979Top