Agnostic.com
1 1

This is pretty much a continuation of my previous post in this group, about how looks can be deceiving when it comes to firearms. Once again as a disclaimer, this post contains a photo of another one of my scary looking guns (I know, I'm a terrible person for doing these kinds of posts, but please bear with me here for a moment), so if you're sensitive to images of guns it might be best to just skim over this post then.

Recently, MSNBC host Joy Reid took to Twitter to talk about the gun control debate, and while most of her tweets were nothing more than disgruntled and angry rants against virtually every gun owner in America, one tweet in particular got my attention due to the outrageous claim Reid tried to make. Reid proceeded to claim and I quote - "This is one of the Sig Sauer models. If it looks like a Glock that's because it is like a Glock. It's similar in style and function." I'll post her full tweet in the comments below, I don't care about her babbling in the second half of the tweet, the dishonest comparison is what I took issue with.

The model of gun that Reid used for her example in the tweet was a Sig Sauer P320, and it just so happens that I own a Sig P320. That is, I own a replica Sig P320 airgun, but not the actual firearm though (attached is the image of my replica P320). While both may be firearms, a Glock and Sig handguns are not the exact same thing as Reid would have you believe. That would be like trying to compare a Toyota Tundra with a Chevrolet Silverado, while both may be trucks they are obviously not exactly alike. Just the calibers of the two guns alone would disqualify such a statement as being false.

Since Reid believes all guns are exactly the same in every way because she thinks they all look alike, I'd like to ask her then what she would think about my replica P320 alongside the real Sig Sauer firearm? While they may look almost exactly alike, they serve two very different functions, the former would mostly be used to shred paper targets while the latter shoots actual bullets and is not Co2-powered, big difference there regardless of what one may see on the outside. The concerning part there is, most of Reid's audience would actually believe her statement as absolute truth, and in turn this sort of thing is what fuels distrust in pretty much all gun owners and paves way for misconceptions that could eventually be used to malign them as well. Looks can be deceiving, what two things that may look similar on the outside does not automatically mean they are indeed the exact same thing.

Again, I don't care about the second half of her tweet which stated the obvious, I care about the disinformation, which such disinfo only serves to further the divide in regards to that debate. I don't mind reasoned arguments even if they would go against what I believe in and fight for, but could do without the propaganda though. Please note my restraint on talking about in detail Reid's other absurd claims like gun rights are a manifestation of white supremacy, neverminding the fact that gun control laws would (and have) mostly negatively affect minorities like blacks, and that there are plenty of black hispanic and asian gun owners in America, but that's a whole other issue perhaps for a future post.

SpikeTalon 9 Dec 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's Reid's tweet. Notice how similar the gun is in the tweet below compared to my replica one above, but regardless of how they may look similar there are certainly differences between the two.

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 507 More

Posted by ButtercupI doubt she said it buts it's cute.

Posted by Smurfing101

Posted by DruviusAh yes, modern America.

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by SwitchcraftSandy Hook 13th sad anniversary - 12/14/12

Posted by MoravianSad but true.

Posted by DruviusAlways loved this one.

Posted by TejasAnti trump pistol. Do you have mixed feelings about it?

Posted by TejasLook at this scary gun!

Posted by Tejas

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

Posted by SeaGreenEyezThe most unaware "Awareness Day" in America was yesterday.

• Top tags#guns #NRA #video #laws #violence #guncontrol #massshooting #god #DonaldTrump #Police #world #children #religion #reason #Texas #hell #religious #friends #republicans #rights #death #vote #kids #Atheist #hope #USA #society #teachers #church #truth #florida #government #fear #money #belief #atheism #conservative #sex #parents #Christian #agnostic #earth #community #schools #culture #evidence #youtube #Christians #wife #murder ...

Members 918Top