Agnostic.com
0 1

Hi -

Has anyone else looked into credible analysis of how many annual deaths are attributable to the climate emergency?

I see this recent information, that seems to be in a peer-reviewed publication. However, I can't find (outside the pay wall) if it states actual numbers, only percentages are in the summary paragraph I see.

[nature.com]
Article
Published: 31 May 2021

The burden of heat-related mortality attributable to recent human-induced climate change

A. M. Vicedo-Cabrera, N. Scovronick, F. Sera, D. Royé, R. Schneider, A. Tobias, C. Astrom, Y. Guo, Y. Honda, D. M. Hondula, R. Abrutzky, S. Tong, M. de Sousa Zanotti Stagliorio Coelho, P. H. Nascimento Saldiva, E. Lavigne, P. Matus Correa, N. Valdes Ortega, H. Kan, S. Osorio, J. Kyselý, A. Urban, H. Orru, E. Indermitte, J. J. K. Jaakkola, …A. Gasparrini 

Nature Climate Change volume 11, pages 492–500 (2021)Cite this article

19k Accesses

184 Citations

6180 Altmetric

Metrics 

Climate change affects human health; however, there have been no large-scale, systematic efforts to quantify the heat-related human health impacts that have already occurred due to climate change. Here, we use empirical data from 732 locations in 43 countries to estimate the mortality burdens associated with the additional heat exposure that has resulted from recent human-induced warming, during the period 1991–2018. Across all study countries, we find that 37.0% (range 20.5–76.3%) of warm-season heat-related deaths can be attributed to anthropogenic climate change and that increased mortality is evident on every continent. Burdens varied geographically but were of the order of dozens to hundreds of deaths per year in many locations. Our findings support the urgent need for more ambitious mitigation and adaptation strategies to minimize the public health impacts of climate change.

Also, there is this older through 2004 data, it seems:

[who.int]
Climate change attributable deaths

Indicator name: Mortality and burden of disease attributable to climate change
Short name: MBD CC
Data type: Rate
Indicator Id: 2391
Topic: Mortality and burden of disease
Risk factors
Rationale:
As part of a broader project to assess major risk factors to health, the burden of disease resulting from climate change was assessed. Measuring the health effects from climate change can only be very approximate. Nevertheless, a assessment coordinated by WHO, taking into account only a subset of the possible health impacts, concluded that the modest climate change that has occurred since the 1970s was already causing over 140 000 excess deaths annually by the year 2004.

[edit to add this one]

I question whether this figure of 5 million people per year is all attributable to climate change, but it seems worth adding this study to the list of relevant ones.

[monash.edu]
World’s largest study of global climate related mortality links 5 million deaths a year to abnormal temperatures
08 July 2021

kmaz 7 Mar 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

Recent Visitors 5

Photos 49 More

Posted by kmazfrom a french artist, fabrien barrau

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPlease spend 3 minutes reading this note from William Shatner, the actor from Star Trek: “Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by AnonySchmooseAchieving Climate Change Mitigation in the Forest Sector | Frontiers Research Topic

Posted by AnonySchmooseVisualizing the Quantities of Climate Change – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Posted by LetzGetReal In “Mermaid” BENJAMIN VON WONG created a scene using 10,000 donated USED plastic bottles then photographed it from overhead.

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseWill protecting 30 percent of Earth prevent the extinction crisis? | Science News

Posted by LetzGetRealHi ALL, Been away, lots to do in my real life community, plus family issues in the states were pressing.

Posted by Heidi68Truth from a boy and his tiger

Posted by Heidi68They knew at the beginning of the last century. Just think if we had listened & work toward change starting back then

Posted by JoeBUnexpectedly large herd of Elephants sighted in Borno State, .

Posted by MsAlIts been raining all winter here in Michigan and Im finding it hard to avoid politics by talking about the weather.

Posted by djs64Happy and sad.

• Top tags#climate #video #ClimateChange #environment #world #earth #hope #community #animals #government #society #solar #species #policy #technology #religion #scientific #justice #DonaldTrump #friends #book #death #GlobalWarming #vote #population #ecology #reason #limit #politicians #USA #religious #college #oil #humanity #survival #evidence #economic #Jesus #films #Atheist #Australia #god #military #humans #politics #children #republicans #activism #fear #truth ...

Members 138Top