Agnostic.com
4 2

Can people be non-theists before they replace the religious method with the scientific method? Authorities discourage or even forbid thinking; science requires thinking.

yvilletom 8 Sep 14
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

0

Based on my experience, the answer is an unequivocal 'yes!' Just as a child may rebel or run away from an abusive parent, people can renounce and repudiate without an identifiable replacement.

I personally began to doubt and eventually reject religion without substituting the scientific method. I began to smell bullshit, and felt in my core that what we'd been taught about the deity was crap, but I didn't feel a need for a surrogate or replacement.

Years later I discovered, or should I say, re-discovered the scientific method and critical thinking. Bottom line: I rejected the notion of a personal god, particularly the god that I'd been taught to worship, long before I learned of an argument against it / him /her. My rejection was at the 'gut level' ... purely emotional, if not instinctual. Only later did I bolster my decision to reject a deity with skepticism and reason.

0

I'm fucked!

0

I never was religious, and was taught at a fairly age about critical thinking, and or the Scientific method, so there was never anything to replace anything.

0

Yes, unless they want to be a scientist

Write Comment