Agnostic.com
4 3

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Another one for Rabbie Burns on his birthday…and a song with very fond memories for me. A Rosebud By My Early Walk was written by Burns in 1787 and dedicated to Miss Jean Cruikshank who was the daughter of the Latin master at The Royal High School of Edinburgh. Although Jean was only 12 years old at the time of this song being written, she was an accomplished singer and sang and accompanied herself on the piano. Here I’ve chosen a version sung by the slightly older Peter McCutcheon.

On a more personal note…this song won me first prize in a City-wide Edinburgh schools singing competition at a similar age to Miss Cruikshank, my first entry into competitive singing. Another connection to the song is that my brother attended and studied Latin, amongst other subjects, at Edinburgh’s Royal High School, albeit almost 200 years later in the 1950s!

Marionville 10 Jan 25
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great story, Marje.

Glad you liked my little anecdote.

What lovely lyrics! I am sure you have many sweet memories of singing this one Marje! First prize tells me you did a beautiful job of singing. 😍

I can still sing it and can remember all the words.

I have never regretted learning Latin for 8 years.

No…I’ve never regretted it either, it’s come in useful quite a few times!

@Marionville I know that I was not school-loving enough to use my intelligence to have been top of my classes. Had I been I'd have learned Greek as well (my dad did) and that would have been very useful as well.
2nd most expensive school in England yet they completely failed me. I hated my 5 years there. In '64 there was a mock election. 434 voted Conservative. 6 of us voted Labour.
What have those to look back on? Well instead of learning to fire 303s (school corps) I rebelled and worked with the bursar. On Google Earth, I can view an avenue of trees that he and I planted.

@rogerbenham Leaving an avenue of trees is a greater feat than mere academic achievement…you have left a lasting gift for posterity. Future generations may not know your name but they will benefit and enjoy the majesty of the arboreum you helped plant.

Such a beautiful piece of music...you must have been very proud to have won 1st prize out of all the Edinburgh schools. Great honor to Burns.

Ray13 Level 8 Jan 25, 2023

Yes…I still have the certificate somewhere amongst all my old memorabilia. I also won a book of Burns music & poetry.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 5

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #musicians #Norway #traditional #god #hope #sing #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #reason #death #Atheist #church #wife #earth #book #USA #relationship #mother #Russian #parents #hell #sex #community #money #soul #Christian #kids #culture #holiday #atheism #plays #Jesus #beliefs #dream #poetry ...

Members 1,327Top