Agnostic.com
3 5

Two of the most beautiful voices combine in this song written by Benny Andersson of ABBA…that of renowned Welsh baritone Bryn Terfel and sublime Norwegian soprano Sissel Kyrkjebo. The song itself is a masterpiece by the Swedish maestro and it’s one I like to listen to very often - Give Me My Song…

Marionville 10 Dec 21
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember when ABBA won the Eurovision music contest. If anyone has not heard this song they've been living in a cave.

jackjr Level 7 Dec 24, 2023

It still sounds good.

@Marionville And it was 50 years ago. Kind of dates us.

@jackjr Yes..and I remember watching them win on TV live…

@Marionville Me too. I also remember watching a show that pitted several people from certain countries (Italy, Germany, France and England) doing some activity that required some physical coordination. Seems the Italians always came up at being comical.

Quite divine! I've played this 4 times now. I've got some teary eyes I tell you!!

It has that effect on me too…

Not allowed to use this word, but I found that divine!

It is just that…quite divine!

@Marionville As usual even after three times listening, tears flow down my face.

@rogerbenham I too was brought to tears Roger. The music, the wonderful voices, the lyrics just bring you to that point.

@Redheadedgammy I always was a bit emotive but the death of my wife 4+ years ago broke traditional barriers and then I burst into tears in my post office, my bank and my supermarket. It really does not take too much for me to cry now. Silly old me!

@rogerbenham I am the same Roger. I've always been a person with deep emotions, and music brings that out in me for some reason. I just had the 5 year anniversary of my husband passing in June of 2018. Today, the Winter Solstice was emotional for me as Richard and I always did our baking for the holidays on this day. Since we didn't celebrate Xmas, we made breads and goodies for our friends. I went ahead and did my baking and taking my little loaves of zucchini bread to my sweet new neighbors. It was a good day for this old lady.

@Redheadedgammy Well, Christmas as a child was magical. Until I left England I had the main dinner in first a Georgian dining room and later in a Tudor dining room with oak ceiling beams complete with a carved Tudor rose. England is possibly the least religious country in the world. It is all ceremony but based on a king wanting to have sex with a young woman. The whole thing was history and symbolism. Sure, I frequently went to church because I was a chorister in demand. To my thinking, I never believed in the Christian stuff but as you see on a lot of the classical music that I post, I love the inspired music.
Solstice meant most to me living too close to the base of a mountain. One month without sun.Though Jeannie was really into OSHO she was keener on church than I and I think believed in the sort of god described in the Bhagavad Gita - all encompassing. I studied Sufism without the Islam. But now having been helped by beings from beyond, I am assured of a life continuance without the need of a god other than "who created the universe?" Which is an impossible one to answer.
So I get 5 years in October next year. But I lost feeling her after 2 or 3 months. Then she became memories. She visited me once at night and we walked together but she kept on trying to tell me about the next phase despite being forbidden to do so and vanishing when she tried! She might have been involved with the three columns of smoke who ensured that I lived through the worst of my 4 operations.
I can't expect anyone to believe me but I do not care.

@rogerbenham Your childhood sounds magical Roger. I've heard others say that England is not a very religious country. I'd probably enjoy visiting someday. I do enjoy the ceremony of Xmas, the tree decorating, the music especially, and the giving and getting gifts is great. LOL I wasn't raised with any religion, my parents never took my sister and I to church. We only went when the believers next door invited my sister and I to church. That didn't last long because I was "too disruptive". I was glad because it all seemed so weird to me. The one thing I did enjoy was the music. I so enjoy the classical music, and you and Marje post so many great pieces of music. I had tended to get into a rut with music and liked to listen to old stuff I know. Since I've joined this site and broadened my horizons with music I am listening to more on my own. I love to listen to the music others in the music groups share here too. Was Jeannie a theist? I've heard of OSHO but have never studied him. Do you study him? I ventured into Buddhism because I liked their three universal truths. It comes the closest to my beliefs.

Almost 5 years for you too. I felt a presence of Richard whenever I cried. But I couldn't say really what it was. I did dream a lot about him, but most were dreams about our past life together. Only a few seemed to be him trying to communicate something to me, but it was never very clear. Your experience with her visiting you is intriguing. I wonder who forbid her to tell you anything about the next phase? Quite an experience Roger. I hope it was peaceful and not unnerving for you. And good for you. You are following OSHO's main teachings, the opinion of others is the least of an individuals concerns. It's midnight here so I'm off the sleep. Good chatting with you.

@Redheadedgammy @rogerbenham It will be 5 years on January 20th 2024 since I lost my son Graeme, I had this song played in the crematorium at his humanist funeral. It always brings me to tears too…..

@Marionville I know that was such a sorrowful time for you Marje. The loss of a spouse is somewhat expected as we grow older, but losing a child is a devastating loss. I will always think of Graeme when I hear this song now. 🫂

@Redheadedgammy It is Sissel's entry into the song that brings on the tears. The purity of her voice is so exquisite. Terfel I find too operatic ( but then I find most great tenors (he is Baritone?) too operatic. They are loved for their full manly voice whilst I just prefer purer vocal sounds.
OSHO was previously Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. Many thought him a phony . It did not enamour many that he owned one hundred Rolls Royces. Thousands of youth poured to him (I've known some of his long time devotees). He had a thousand acre ranch in Oregan which was broken up by right wing rednecks. OSHO spent time in jail. Jeannie believed that theFBI poisoned him there. He moved to India and set up a huge Ashram in Pune. East of Mombay. Jeannie and her lover before me (who is one of my best friends) went several times to stay in the ashram. I was never that attracted but in our marriage, Jeannie often quoted Osho and it interested me as it never conflicted with my Sufi learnings. Interest rather than studying religions had been part of me since aged 15 learning Socrates andearly Greek thinking. I have been a sort of philosopher all of my life. As Richard Dawkins says, ultimately we wonder about god as we don't understand how the universe(s) came into being. Where I get really weird is I bekieve that we ar living in a complete illusion. I do not believe in any infinity. I think it is impossible for them to be true. That puts away the universe, time, size, pretty well everything. I make no pretence as to understanding why things appear as they do. If anything I think we are in a nursery designed for our growth. Final thought, OSHO made fun of all religions saying stop being followers but be Christ or Buddha or Mohamed. He naver made fun of the Sufis. I liked the Buddhists though not so happy when my 2nd wife left me to become a Buddhist nun in a Lake District abbey.

@Redheadedgammy, @Marionville HappyNew Year. Having once lived too close to a mountain, the Solstice is an incredibly important event to me. I remember being in full shadow at -40 looking across the valley to continuous full sunshine.

@rogerbenham I do love Sissels voice too Roger. Anything she sings is wonderful in my book. I also like Terfels wonderful voice. I am not trained in classical music like you and Marje, so I respect your opinion on him. I still think he's great.

You have certainly had a very full and rich life of experiences Roger.

@Redheadedgammy Terfel sings opera very well. I have heard him many times. M and I have different tastes in music. She gets concentrated on a few very good singers but also is far more into popular music than I am, I just have a little nostalgia for the early sixties popular music when I was 13 to 22. We have in common a life time involvement in choral society music. One huge difference is that effectively I cannot read music. I sing a lot of choral stuff by guesswok. I feel the music.But in my own way I have been composing music for 65 years.
Full life? Yes mostly because of decisions about money, I grew up with it and I never really respected it. When I was 26 I was proposed to by a Guinness heiress and said no as a life of huge wealth did not attract me. By age 32 I was at the top of my profession and was offered a partnership which would get me living in the best part of Calgary with swimming pool, tennis court, private plane ... and I knew that I did not want it. I rose even higher but suddenly was forced to be unethical so I quit the equivalent of a 400,000 a year life and went to live for 30 years without pay in the bush and another 8 receiving a government pension. That is why I became as different as I have. My friends would describe me as a pure hippie.

@rogerbenham Again I am amazed at your life story Roger. Compared to you, I've led a pretty boring life!

I absolutely adore Marje and her knowledge of music. I've learned a lot about music that I would never have looked into on my own without Marje. I think she seems quite balanced in her music taste. She's open to a lot of different music, and shares it with everyone in our group. I'd love to see her chorale group sing!

I think as we grow older we are mostly open to hearing new music, the newer popular kind of rock, jazz and pop is quite fun to explore. I've never gotten into much rap music. I do love my old favorites from the 60's and 70's.

So you've become a "pure hippie" as your friends say eh? That's a good thing provided you are happy with your life. I've never had a lot of money, and am very careful how I manage what I have. I have enough to support myself, which is empowering for me. I have a few friends who are either single by choice or widowed, who struggle to survive and I thank my lucky stars I am not in their shoes.

@Redheadedgammy Yes Marje has a much broader taste in music. From 1977 to 2020 I was effectively isolated into the bush and was also mostly limited with electricity. I made my own power but it was not on 24 hours, more like three.I had an extensive collection of cassettes and CDs(the records got tucked away) . Radio was often iffy and certainly only played in evenings when in my workshop. We liked listening to a CBC programme "As it happens" and at Christmas Time the Kings College Choir. But basically I was not listening to much music at all. Life as a pioneer was constant and I loved it and learnt a lot because I could not afford ro get people to do things for me.I do not think Marje shares my taste in New Age which started with Pink Floyd and carried through the years though even that I now listen rarely.
Truth be told, 90% of my music is through Agnostic, After my wife died I stopped playing and listening. I was given a stereo but it is still unpacked. I am afraid I realise that I am a show off and want to perform to others or with others. Jeannie loved listening to me play so I had a permanent audience,
I've been a pure hippie since 1974 but now have the history to prove it. In 1980 I joined the back to the land movement, At least half of my friends are similar back to the landers,

Recent Visitors 11

Photos 63 More

Posted by FrayedBearNow the sanctions against Israel spread to the Euroschism Song contest.

Posted by FrayedBearA recording of an interesting broadcast on the subject of coffee by relatively well known but nonetheless superb Australian folk singer Kavisha Mazella

Posted by kocasYou will face a hurdle in the daily weaving game that you must overcome.

Posted by Zoewees[shp.ee] SALDO SHOPEE GRATIS LANGSUNG CAIR 2022

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIt is tough to find sharable music from The Oppossums Of Truth. There are 3 full albums of Scientific Gospel music here. [boomplay.com]

Posted by ReignmondIcelandic Folk Music - Tyrkjaránid - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondOk...how about this hauntingly beautiful opera aria? [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondOkay, let's just say this is not like K-pop....and let it go at that. I stumbled on them about 3 years ago. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondAn Irish song in Gaelic with translation [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondThe song title translates to I Won't Give Up by Hungarian Alternative/Indie band Intim Torna Illegál (Intimate Gymnastics Is Illegal). [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondGet ready for some beautiful music. I have a couple albums by Heartstrings. Sometimes I play them in the office and it is quite popular. [youtu.be]

Posted by ReignmondJapanglish Song - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondAVA Opera - The Doll's Song from "Tales of Hoffmann" - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondYoshida Brothers - Rising - YouTube

Posted by ReignmondHunnu Guren - Batzorig Vaanchig & Auli - YouTube

• Top tags#video #Song #world #musicians #Norway #traditional #god #sing #hope #friends #dance #hello #movies #religion #youtube #Europe #jazz #children #Australia #films #lyrics #religious #DonaldTrump #reason #death #church #wife #Atheist #earth #book #USA #mother #parents #relationship #Russian #sex #hell #community #money #soul #Christian #kids #culture #holiday #dream #atheism #plays #Jesus #beliefs #laws ...

Members 1,330Top