Agnostic.com
4 5

Christians like to believe that their religion spread around the world by people voluntarily abandoning their own cultural traditions in favor of the obvious superiority of Christianity. Christians like to think that they prayed their way to global dominance.

That's a pretty story. Actual history shows that's not what happened.

The truth is that Christianity spread around the world first at the point of a sword and then at the end of the barrel of a gun.

Starting with the Roman Empire and continuing through European colonization, Christians used military power and brutal oppression at the hands of authoritarian governments to force people around the world to adopt Christianity. Those who refused to worship Jesus were tortured and killed.

The first Thanksgiving prayers amongst the Puritans of New England were not given at a peaceful banquet. They were part of religious rituals celebrating violent massacres of indigenous villages.

Violent Christian Nationalism is nothing new.

The founders of the United States of America crafted the Constitution to prevent the power of religion from taking over the government, because the founders knew the history of Christian Nationalism in the colonies and in Europe was bloody and despotic.

The United States is not a Christian nation, and that's an arrangement we ought to be grateful to our secular leaders for creating and maintaining.

CliffordCook 6 Nov 29
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is even written in the bible (gospel of luke) that jesus commanded his followers to kill in his presence anyone who would not follow him. Just like islam, christianity is also a religion of violence and forced domination 😐

You know, I actually had a Christian minister insist to me that the parable you're talking about doesn't mean what it seems to mean, that Jesus was just saying that secular kings should kill people who disobey them, but that Jesus would never do that himself, that I was taking it out of context because it was about kings. When I pointed out that the context is that in the lines right after the parable, Jesus declares himself to be a king, the minister fell silent and didn't want to talk about it any more. This Jesus character was sinister and violent, erratic and manipulative. Of course, the Jesus of the bible doesn't really represent an historical human being, but as a fictional character does represent the ideology of Christianity: Bloody from the start.

@CliffordCook Thanks for giving me additional ammunition/info against christians who would give this alibi 👍

Yep, conversion via the sword. Some peaceful religion, isn't it.

Even Jesus was purported to say something like "Think not that I have come to bring peace on earth. I come not to send peace , but a sword."

Julie808 Level 8 Nov 29, 2022

Indeed, and the Christian gospels say he told his followers to sell their cloaks in order to buy swords.

And on it goes......

This happened time and time again..and still happens..

Charlene Level 9 Nov 29, 2022
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 265 More

Posted by CliffordCook The Fascism of Faith Month in the US Congress U.

Posted by of-the-mountainReality!!!

Posted by CliffordCookChristian Nationalism isn't just something that's spreading in the United States.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyReligion is ridiculous!

Posted by CliffordCookChristians like to believe that their religion spread around the world by people voluntarily abandoning their own cultural traditions in favor of the obvious superiority of Christianity.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIt’s all about keeping women in subjugation!

Posted by KynleiI saw a meme about Noah's Ark and it got me thinking about the supposed timeline of events.

Posted by KynleiI saw a meme about Noah's Ark and it got me thinking about the supposed timeline of events.

• Top tags#god #Christian #video #religion #religious #Bible #church #world #Christians #Jesus #christianity #Atheist #children #atheism #hope #hell #Catholic #DonaldTrump #death #government #kids #friends #book #mother #laws #beliefs #truth #earth #reason #wife #parents #prayer #sex #believer #faith #belief #evangelicals #money #guns #religions #sin #pastor #evil #fear #gay #WTF #abortion #media #movies #USA ...

Members 292Top

Moderators