Agnostic.com
2 2

LINK 'A spoilt brat country': the Australians overseas who decided not to come home | Australian lifestyle | The Guardian

This article struck a nerve with me, knowing from experience a bit about how expats get a demythologized view of Australia. Key themes for me were 'spoilt brat country', 'shift to the right', and 'attitudes towards women'. Don't see many articles like this about Australia and how we are seen abroad. Though many abroad think of Australia as a big tropical Shangrilahian paradise, especially by those whose only knowledge comes from movies and tv, I think our reputation as a smug self-glorified country is growing.

David1955 8 Jan 4
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here we go again, yet another Ocker Knocker tarring EVERY Aussie with the same brush.
Odds on the author has ONLY ever been as far as the coastal Big Smoke Cities when it comes to the REAL Australia.
Yeah our politics has been screwed up since the days AFTER Gough Whitlam but this dill of an author wouldn't know a REAL Aussie if one shook his biased bigoted hand imo.

Triphid Level 9 Jan 4, 2021

I took it more as a take on the cultural attitudes in Australia, the introspection and myopia that often passes for the Australian character. This doesn't apply to all people, of course. Also, I agree that the ascendancy of right wing politics in Australia is a lot to do with that, and that's because the Right in Australia hasn't just ruthlessly won elections -- with help from Murdoch -- but they have moulded the culture to their right wing ends, and culture is about values and a world view.. John Howard most of all did this, intentionally crushing the Whitlam legacy after Hawke and Keating all but destroyed it. Politics isn't just about winning elections; it's about cultural conditioning, I have learnt. To their disgrace, the ALP have done nothing to prevent this and in return they have been rewarded by almost 30 years of election loss. Still they do not learn. I do not believe they ever will.

@David1955 Ah yes, the combination of "John, the Cur, Kerr," "Malcom, Cut-Throat Razor, Frazer," his side-kick "Toxic Toad Howard" and "Wrinkled Weasel. Turdoch (Murdoch)," et all, just could NOT ALLOW Australia to become a TRUE country in its own right, stand on its own feet, sever ties with that Gracious (??), Loving (??) Mother England could they?
With the not so covert aid of England, Queen Lizzie II and the Rabid Dogs of the United States of Absurdity they consorted and conspired to, literally, cut the legs out from under ALL Australians.
But fear not, one day we shall ALL rise up again as ONE People striving to be a Nation, a True Democracy AND not the Serfs of others.

Like America, there is a certain expectation of entitlement frequently at odds with the historically screaming poverty arising from lack of education that previouly was tempered by an expectation of accomplishing through hard labour. Now crops not mechanically harvested are rotting in the fields because Australians have become lazy.

Recent Visitors 9

Photos 150 More

Posted by 1patriotthey are creating a 15 Cities all along this coast in Australia

Posted by 1patriotthunder writes: I remember early in the pandemic when there was a protest outside the hospital (Toronto Canada).

Posted by vocaloldfart Is this the way of the future?

Posted by vocaloldfartIf you think times were tough under the LNP Mafiosa in the previous years, Give Dutton the disastrous destroyer the vote in the next election, and look foreward to worse to come.

Posted by vocaloldfartMichael Pascoe: And the award for the worst Liberal leader goes to… ?

Posted by vocaloldfartDingoes elevated to 'almost-human' status in pre-colonial Australia .

Posted by vocaloldfartVanadium batteries’ sustainable energy hailed as key to solar revolution Vanadium could be the answer to using solar and wind round the clock, silencing critics who say they’re useless when the...

Posted by FrayedBearThis amused me. How about you? "Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Shulz

Posted by FrayedBearNine chairman, and former Australian Treasurer, Peter Costello is now promoting war with China after making $millions lobbying for defence companies BY SHANE DOWLING ON MARCH 12, 2023

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearIt has taken since 1986 for the Australian Human Rights Commission to release papers & a suggested draft for incorporation into Australian law to protect all citizens.

Posted by FrayedBearWhat a con - mRNA vaccinations?

Posted by FrayedBearWhy is the Murdoch media not widely reporting this apparent scandal that should prevent the NSW Premier being re-elected for a further 4 years?

Posted by vocaloldfartsign of the times

• Top tags#Australia #government #video #world #god #religious #hope #friends #laws #politicians #religion #money #minister #federal #media #reason #DonaldTrump #children #liberal #politics #community #rights #Police #Atheist #military #evidence #death #Christian #Jesus #China #hell #church #atheism #policy #USA #corruption #parents #youtube #truth #vote #book #religions #kids #dogs #justice #faith #agnostic #trolls #movies #population ...

Members 429Top