Agnostic.com
2 0

I have 2 questions for the group, one of which isn't exactly related to GNU and so might need to be moved (we shall see).

1.) I am currently running Debian 10 with the cinnamon desktop environment. I've tinkered with the display settings and such and everything looks sharp and nifty (I love dark mode). The only thing I hate about it is the display manager (I believe it's lightDM). It looks so old and out of place compared to the modern environment it hands off to.

Thus my question is how does one switch this? Has anyone made the change (in debian 10)?

I am also curious if display managers are interchangeable between major distributions (i've seen some nice Arch ones).

2.) Does anyone have any tips and tricks in terms of how to segment a home network?

Like the rest of us, I find myself adding more and more IOT gadgets (including cable company supplied whole home PVR equipment) to my home LAN. And because I have become somewhat security conscious, I don't like the idea of such hardware sharing the same space as my laptop, phone and tablet.

Mb_Man 7 July 31
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As for segmenting the network, I bought a second router that plugs into the first. I loaded DD-WRT on it. Its open source firmware that you can create virtual networks. You can get the software from www.dd-wrt.com. There are a list of compatible routers on the website.

ScubaWags Level 7 Aug 2, 2020

I'm running Kubuntu 18.10 and 19.10. In both cases plasma is the default WM, but I also have installed cinnamon-session and xfce4-session -- I think whichever one is installed last becomes default, selectable at login.

I am not very network knowledgeable, but it seems to me that IOT and privacy are kinda at odds 😛

Recent Visitors 10

Photos

Posted by FrayedBearAnyone using Android 12? Are you having problems with the Gmail app no longer working along with the PlayStore?

Posted by ScubaWagsWow, Windows 11 will have tiling windows. No one has ever done that before...

Posted by ScubaWagsThis made me giggle

Posted by OldMetalHeadThis is quite interesting. I knew Ubuntu would be high, but I honestly didn't expect it to be that high.

Posted by ScubaWagsApparently it's penguin awareness day today... I assume that must include Tux

Posted by hrichardson8Hey, I resemble that remark. [xkcd.com]

Posted by HiFiGuyHello, everyone! I'm new and I just wanted to say hello and share a little bit about myself.

• Top tags#god #video #computers #religion #hope #religious #reason #atheism #friends #hell #evidence #apple #chinese #environment #sex #belief #hello #Bible #media #Atheist #evil #USA #faith #world #kids #corruption #government #humans #movies #community #rights #schools #joke #humanity #China #DonaldTrump #immoral #Australia #cultural #holy #NASA #dogs #Russian #military #nonbelievers #Christian #Awe #spirit #tech #agnostic ...

Members 76Top