Agnostic.com

7 2

Anyone her struggle with being an Atheist in Mormon culture?

I am from Utah was raised in the Mormon culture. I never believed any of their teachings however. I tried to but never was able to make the leap. Does anyone else have issues with friends and family shunning you for non-belief? There can be no discussion with these people. Reason and facts are completely thrown aside with only angry an rebuttal that only ends with “well you just have to have faith”.

Peakbagger 3 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Giving up the underwear must have been tough.

LOL you just have to have faith or you just have to believe. A couple of main things they say. I was raised Mormon even babtized in the faith. I was in boyscotts and seen how mean they were. Then remembered back to my younger days how the older kids picked on the younger ones and parents said nothing. I said to my self fuck this shit their is no god. Then all the crap they shove down your throut Jesus died for your sins , what sins I was not even born I could go on and on with the lies religions tell us. Point out the bible has ways to have your children killed for mis behaving, So many ways to have you stoned to death. Were women have to be virgins on wedding night and men do not. Religions and gods were invented to control people especially women. Read a passage and you can see it was written with this purpose to it.

I was forced to go to a mormon church and scouts to learn about religion. I wasnt sent to believe. So I know some of the crazy things they believe. Did not have to worry about the social aspect since I never really committed.

Are you stuck there permanently? Can you leave and take up residence somewhere else? If it's comforting, hang out here and socialize with us for therapy.

You have my sympathy, though not living in a Mormon community, I had to threaten them with harassment law suits in order to get them to leave my wife and I alone after I left.

Being one that joined the church in March of the year 1995 and left in the year 2013 . I would advise you not to worry about discussing your beliefs with anyone of faith, if you are seeking to get them to look at their own beliefs ;It is to engrained in their psyche. If you are firm in your beliefs be good with that. If someone asks you then by all means share your experiences in the spirit of just sharing and not trying to be right. I’ve learned through experience that when one has faith in god , there is no reason to try and discuss the validity of their faith.

Lucky me that can't help you. Everyone in my family has one choice. Accept me as I am. I don't want nobody to change and I am changing for nobody. I have a sister that is an Ordained Minister. We talk Life, not religion. Boundaries, boundaries. I treat her with the respect earned due she is my Eldest and first to give me fashion tips.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100986
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.