Agnostic.com

12 3

Have you ever debated with a Scientologist?

Or a flat-Earther? Or an anti-vaxxer? Or a Creationist? Or, you know, any of THOSE types of people?

Feel free to elaborate in gory detail.

misternatureboy 7 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still want my own planet. What were we talking about again?

Don't; it frustrates you and annoys the scientologist.

Scientologist recruiters are trained to not debate anything and the vast majority of them are working for the cult for free to earn enough credit to advance to their next OT level.

They will always keep things jolly and say things are fun, why not try this out etc...

If you come across one who is OT3 or above and try to debate them they will automatically class you as SP (suppressive person) and ignore you completely, even if you are members of their family.

As for all the other members of the religiousity, I have debated, argued, ridiculed many over the years. Some turn nasty, most just walk away sad that I am a lost soul.

You can't debate with insanity.

Yes, they usually identify so strongly with their belief system that a debate is useless. I think they feel that if they admit they are wrong, they are admitting they have wasted their lives.

Careful with lumping together everything with which you disagree.

I fell into an argument over money with my Scientologist landlord back in ’68. He declared me to be a “suppressive person”. Oh woe!

I am old enough now to use my time for better purposes (than debating any of those type of people)

Thankfully, I don't personally know one of those idiots. I also wouldn't debate any religious person as people who sees themselves living within an alternate reality tend to be irrational regarding it. I realize I'll get just as much accomplished talking to the nearest wall.

I have done battle with a moon landing denier, an anti-vaxxer, and a Creationist (and no, they weren't the same person). I have also done battle with a Mormon, which in my opinion is almost as bad.

Okay you are very right, but people who are proponents of the moon landing operate under the assumption that the government was definitely telling the truth. Don't you think there is some merit to denying the moon landing? What about planning in the dark amidst the mandating of vaccines? Don't you think all the people who got sick from the rogue compounds in vaccines should indicate that vaccine production should have been improved?

@DZhukovin When I first heard of the possibility of the moon landing being faked, I went to my father. He had a Phd in Chemistry, and was very knowledgeable about space, the moon, and the physics of space (he actually started training to become one). Every point that the moon landing deniers was countered by my father. Personally, I believe my father's logic over the rantings of someone who has no science background (plus I have done my own research).

In response to your anti-vax comments; I am actually on the fence. I do believe that we should be vaccinated against deadly diseases, however I believe it should be every individuals right to refuse vaccinations on illnesses that very seldom kill us. I'm old enough to remember polio. I'm also old enough to remember what measles can do to a person. My oldest brother had the measles in his lungs which made it very hard to breath. My last husband was almost blinded because of the measles. Every medicine has side effects; it's up to us to research those side effects and determine if we're willing to chance them. Also, I personally believe that we give infants too many too soon; there is no reason to give them vaccination before they even leave the hospital especially when the mother's immunity is supposed to be transferred to them at birth and for some months afterwards.

@kiramea

I acknowledge all that. That helps the proponents of an actual moon landing, for sure. I am also certainly aware of the immense pragmatism and value of vaccines, like was said, so there is no need to digress on that one. Next time, please do not give me the anti-vaxxer treatment, okay?

Now, have you ever ingested any direct evidence of the moon landing? Where can this evidence be found online, so I may look at it?

@DZhukovin My apologies. I wasn't meaning to disparage you in any way.

It's been quite a while since I've done any research or read anything about the validity of the Moon landing. I'll try to find what I've found and let you know.

@kiramea Yeah that's fine too, and thank you.

No, I have not, because I don't like talking to people that may be so stupid, they may actually suck intelligence from others, out of having a negative IQ. How can someone believe something is true when it is not necessarily proven? There is no significant delineation between something that is true, and something that is necessarily true, because both of those things hinge on existence. Everything else is a heuristic. It's trash.

Seriously, Scientologists embody the kind of person that refuses to actually learn something. They go among the ranks of the Mormons, Amish, etc. ... they are a low caste.

I don't think you will get that far...

no

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101096
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.