Agnostic.com

9 2

Do you think churches should lose their tax exemption status?

• 45 votes
  • 0 votes
PBF29078 4 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

ABSOLUTLEY! Every time I see some religious hypocrite making political statements while driving a CADILLAC, I see red!

Yes yes yes

When a church does anything to attempt to influence votes, they've crossed the line and should no longer be tax exempt. I'm betting that almost all do encourage their parishoners to vote a particular way, so remove the tax exemption!

Yes and no or with conditions.

If you are granted tax exempt status it should be required that your books should be published in public so we contributors can see if you spend our money wisely.
A PDF saying you spend 12% on admin doesn't tell us anything.

It would have saved me from giving to those thieves at Wounded Warriors Project that didn't actually do anything for vets

As I understand it, churches were given tax exempt status as a way of keeping them separate from the State, because it would be a type of taciturn endorsement of a religious state should the State either give or get money from religious organizations. As we have all seen, they're putting their money into politics, endorsing candidates, and lobbying with SuperPACs to further their agendas. All of this is either unconstitutional, or a clear forfeit of their exemption status. Using money to buy politicians is a disqualifying action. Therefore, it's obvious they should lose their exemption to being taxed.

As long as there's a clause in there stopping then influencing politicians

To me, taxing churches is a no-brainer.

Absolutely YES. Or at the very least churches should have to do something to earn being tax exempt. Many churches are just political organizations now and as such should be subject to tax. Charlatan preachers that get stupid people to buy them jet planes should have to pay taxes on that. And that is not even to mention how ridiculous it is that for-profit scams like Scientology get tax exemption status.

For churches who actually work as churches to feed and shelter those in need maybe not, but for those others absolutely. Maybe they should have to show proof that they are doing using a major portion of their income to actually help society.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:101963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.