Agnostic.com

8 4

Suicidal Tendencies?

I’m looking for opinions on the suicide rate in the United States. Do you believe it is rising or do we just get the information so much quicker due to social media?

Lisav1961 5 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It appears to be on the rise. A few months ago a friend of mine whom I had known for years committed suicide, walked right in front of a train, what a gruesome way to exit this world.

I don't believe it's a question of 'believing' the research. The numbers are the numbers. That's one of the issues with solid research -- it tells you what happened, but can't usually tell you why it happened. I've already heard several laughable explanations (for which there is no data backing them up).

Yes, I believe the suicide rate is going up in the country. There is a lot people of people that feel that there no hope for them in world. Religion is part of reason why the rate is up. They frown on certain people. I'm sure there number of people that have felt sucidal in some point in there life.

On the rise by quite a bit according to statistics reported today.

You'll have a hard time finding the statistics. Those kinds of statistics tarnish the American dream. They are bad publicity.

I remember reading a news article a few years ago, it wasn't a mainstream media source, but I remember feeling shocked whilst reading it because it found a positive correlation between a surge of suicides of middle aged Americans and poverty, especially in rural areas of the US.

I've since tried to trace the article, but I can't find it.

The big pharma narrative: 'depression is caused by a chemical imbalance' serves their profit motives and lets politicians off the hook.

The bottom line - poverty induces suicide.

while i agree with your comment almost 100%
I feel the need to say that neither money nor fame are sure-fire answers to prevent suicide.
Sad. 😟

@scurry

This is true. I agree.

Great band! Not a great idea though.

I heard on public radio that the CDC just released a report that states suicides are indeed on the rise.

I would think this is somewhat natural as people come to realize that their life is their own.

I heard the same report.

Well, so is hate, racism, segregation. All because we have an asshole in the white house. People can't deal.

I’m going to choose to believe the research.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.