Agnostic.com

5 1

LINK What do you think about this?

My mother has some bad anxiety along with other mental health issues and I've always thought that her faith in her religion probably helped that. This adds a little light to that idea. Pretty interesting. Have any of you seen this effect in people?

criztoferlee1 4 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes .. I grew up in the middle east and my people cure everything with religion! .. Seen it in2 versions . Muslim and Christian .. They work sometimes and sometimes it doesn't ! Since that makes her feels better . Then be it ??

Nader Level 6 June 8, 2018

I've seen more of the opposite; religion as the cause.

Exactly!!! Now instead of worrying the car's engine is about to blow up, or if the power will go out during the next thunderstorm... Religion makes you worry about which neighbor is a drug dealer, fornicator, alcoholic, etc!!!

Religion is a tool. It's not a tool I use but it can be useful. Think of a hammer. Someone uses it to drive nails, fine. Use it to hit people over the head, not good.

This does not really surprise me. People do things for reasons that, at least at the time, seem good and sufficient to them. They do it to scratch some kind of itch. Christianity, like everything else, advances certain value propositions. One that is particularly appealing to certain people is absolution from guilt and empowerment to lead a better life. If you're upset about where your life is at, don't have an effective or sure plan to improve it, and someone comes along with a solution coupled with a ready-made community of people prepared to support and encourage you, that might look pretty good. Especially so if you are primarily concerned about not being "wrong". And it may work at least for a time. It may even put you decisively over the top for life. I don't deny that.

But that doesn't make it an accurate way to explain or predict outcomes in life, either. It doesn't make it an accurate mental model of reality. That is my problem with it; I don't contend that it doesn't work at all, for anyone, ever. Clearly that's not the case, or Christianity (and other major religions) would not have so many adherents and such an outsize influence on history.

However it's working for fewer and fewer people, especially in its most strident and rigid forms. And since there's no evidence Christians have lower rates of suicide, divorce, mental health issues, and criminality, I'd suggest that most of its benefits remain aspirational and unrealized. But ... hope springs eternal, and it can take a long time to let go of hope, even if it's not working. Especially if it's all you know.

This reinforces my feeling that we should extend respect and empathy to everyone, regardless of their religious practices.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.