Agnostic.com

7 9

Net Neutrality Repeal Goes Into Effect Tomorrow!

[washingtonpost.com]

Greedy Republicans!!

twshield 8 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not just republicans, one of the great illusions of our time is the blame game between Democrats and Republicans. There are greedy politicians in both parties and the label of "Democrat" or "Republican" means little against that.

When Bernie ran against Hillary she had a large majority of large corporate donors who wouldn't donate to Bernie while he had a lot of money donated by individual people and families. Are you foolish enough to think those companies gave out of their corporate kindness or do you know they were using dollars to push a political agenda?

Greed is not a Republican thing, they're just easier to corrupt. There is massive corruption in the government and party lines haven't stopped it. The reason its important to understand is that if the "blue wave" does come to be a reality, you'll find that a lot of the donors who used to give heavily to sitting Republicans will start giving to sitting Democrats and many of them will flounder just the same.

@twshield What's there to focus on? If you want to discuss greed in politics it's not a partisan issue, if you want to discuss net neutrality it's done at this point. You've brought nothing to the table for a discussion other than an article and a short comment.

@twshield Ok so you just want to discuss net neutrality in general then. The article clearly states that it's in effect tomorrow, there is already a bill to repeal it that passed the Senate but is unlikely to pass the House and probably not the White House even if it does.

It is unknown how this will affect everyone's internet service because it deregulates what ISP's can do with your speed and does not mandate what they will do. They still have the public to worry about and right now none of them have admitted that they'll do anything that impacts your internet service, as stated in the article.

So what do you want to discuss, the unlikely or the unknown?

@mattersauce it’s known through past experience of what they’ve already pulled without notifying the public that what they will do is: anything they’re legally allowed to do (or can get away with) to make more money. Just like water follows the path of least resistance, the super organism of the corporation will exploit for profit any way it can. Has there ever been an example of a corporation deciding not to take full advantage of deregulation to make them more money, because the effects weren’t good for the consumer? I’m guessing he wants to talk about the inevitable. As depressing as it is, it’s the reality we live in. And yes ISPs have specifically shown us what kind of antics they like to get up to when left to their own devices. Dig into some tech news from before the regulations were put in place and why they were proposed.

Did you even read the Net Neutrality bill?

@twshield Yes

@twshield

So basically, if I read a 500-ish page technical document, then I need a hobby?

You're aware that getting personal is a sign that you're prone to mental illness, and you basically just told everyone that you're sick to defend your state of mind, as if I created your sensitivity, right?

Cross nation relationships are needed to compare what's available online.

I'm predicting political censorship. I've no doubt some left wing articles may be unavailable in the US...

I'll piss for you. And I;ll ask my friends to join me at the urinal.

I heard the FCC chairman in an interview with Marketplace today. By his reasoning, there shouldn't be any utilities. Will Trump/Republicans do away with electric utilities next? So imagine the next wave of appliances... all "smart" appliances, internet capable... and your non-utility electric company will only supply power to particular brands of appliances. With no consumer protections, this is the kind of thing we can expect in the future.

bingst Level 8 June 11, 2018

Hmmm..... Will we survive?

actually Bob I think if basic utilities go private it will cost lives in the same way that our Healthcare System cost lives. if a citizen (consumer) doesn't have the money to live, they die

@hankster but brother....tell me if im wrong.... i thought this had to internet service and computer programs and internet providers. I sure didnt know about the utilities.

@BucketlistBob this does Bob...... there is a push for that other stuff..... the president of nestle said the people didn't have a right to clean water, but they should pay for it, like they already don't with their taxes. just trying to take government money for the private corporations.

@BucketlistBob there is also an argument that says the internet is so fundamental and crucial to our economy that it should be treated like a utility. it's going to be abused

@BucketlistBob yes what bingst refers to in his comments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.