Agnostic.com

9 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did you ever see that vid of Sam Harris on the Bill Maher show getting slammed by that ignorant, coke addled wanker Ben Affleck? Why do we make actors celebrities?? I wish they'd just stick to their job like my electrician and plumber do.

As someone whose family escaped a Muslim country...I agree that maybe 20% are intelligent people who were brought up with the faith and still identify with it. The rest of the religious Muslims are NOT what Ben thinks they are. Their ignorant and barbaric behavior is not acceptable. As a liberal, I have always had issues with that. My master's thesis was about the treatment of women in Muslim countries. My professors thought I was harsh and one-sided. The facts are the facts!

I hate Islam...... it's all I can do to not tell the Burka-ed that "religion is ignorance".

Between full cover and nudity lay a more balanced approach.

<<slow clap>>

Wow. What a revelation, captain obvious. 😛

Sam is all about trying to get people to understand the evils of religion and islam in particular. So, not all his vids will appeal to those who already are aware.

To understand more of his approach, listen more to him, and Hitchens, and Dennent, and Dillahunty, and Ra,...

@Jacar

"If ever there were a religion that's not a religion of peace, it is Islam."

"The position of the Muslim community in the face of all provocations seems to be: Islam is a religion of peace, and if you say that it isn't, we will kill you."

"It is time we admitted that we are not at war with “terrorism.” We are at war with Islam."

Normally, we call statements like those Islamophobic and prejudiced and we look down upon statements like those when christians and 'muricans state it.

But when Harris says it, then Islamophobia is celebrated, then it's ok, then it's ok to stereotype and hate muslims.

Harris and the religious right seem to share a lot in common when it comes to prejudice.
It's just that Harris hides his prejudice behind the dogma of scientism and the religious right behind the dogma of religion.
Both are shit views in my book.

@TheMiddleWay As a woman, I am phobic about Islamic fundamentalists. No amount of chiding, criticizing or berating is going to make me accept people who rape and assault women such as what happened in several German cities on New Year's Eve a few years ago.

@RDaneel
I am phobic about all fundamentalists, religious or secular.
But Harris doesn't make that distinction in his quotes or speeches: to him, it's not the fundamentalism that is the problem, it's Islam and the people that practice it that are the problem. 😟

@TheMiddleWay Yes he does, I have read and listened to just about everything he has done publicly. He is sickened and shocked and openly criticizes ALL fundamentalism. He simply right now focuses on Islam because he understands that right now, Islam presents a unique threat to civilization.

Many people who have something to gain by smearing him or even couldn’t be bothered to listen to or read him fail to see that he always makes the distinction between beliefs and people, and by doing so, has provided all the nuance he needs to in order to avoid being tarred and feathered.

Yet it still happens because some, often often well intentioned people, insist on knowing what Harris thinks better than he does, by relying on mined quotes and blatant mistepresentations by political pindits and pseudo-intellectuals.

Please understand, this is not an attack on you, it is a plea to open your mind and read his books, if you haven’t already. Or at the very least, avoid passing judgment on him based on the horrible things other people have said.

Thank you for your comment.

@tsacrey
Why do you assume that because I don't like Harris I have a closed mind, haven't read his books, or haven't watch extensive videos by/on him? 😮

It is exactly because I've done those that I have such a low opinion of him. 😉

To me, Daniel Dennet make way more sense than Harris; Harris just has a more finely tuned PR machine is all and his rhetoric is more palatable, more "sound-bitey" to the masses.

It should therefore come as no surprise that many take him to task for his ill-conceived sound bites (such as " Islam is the Motherlode of Bad Ideas" ), such that he is forced to backtrack and state that when he said X what he really meant was Y.

@TheMiddleWay My apologies for assuming that you hadn’t read his books. If you have then I stand corrected. 🙂

I didn’t mean to imply that your mind is closed on all topics, just that perhaps you could be a little more open minded on this one. Again, apologies for not being clear on that point.

I have to say, I am surprised that you would still feel this way even after reading his stuff, because I have always felt he made all the appropriate disclaimers about condemning ideas rather than people.

When I read his detractors, it always seems to me that they are misrepresenting him because the qualities they ascribe to him I cannot find any logical way to link to the things he actually says.

Take your example of “Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas.” This statement refers to an ideology, not a people.

IF he had said, “Muslims are the most evil people” then I would agree with your assessment of the situation. This is bigoted and a wrong thing to say.

However, he did not say this and I think for people to suggest that to denigrate Islam is to denigrate Muslims is a mistake because it stifles the conversation and does a great disservice to those who suffer the most under the oppression of Islamic fundamentalism.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on this point, because I do not want the conversation to degrade.

I am curious - what books/articles/podcasts of Harris’ have you read/listened to?

Thank you for the discussion and again please accept my apology for my poor choice of wording before. 🙂

I think there are more than just he two options and points along a line between them. I think the model should be more three dimensional, rather than a single line on a single plane, if we are to find the best accommodations for women to insure equality.

I have carnal knowledge of women in 2 cultures! Beats a view any night of the week.

Islam is evil.

And I think the balance is way to the right in his example.

JacarC Level 8 June 12, 2018

Love this guy. Love his podcast. His podcast is what got me into podcasts. A reasonable voice in unreasonable times. He is always willing to discuss the hard topics. I just don’t see how people constantly try to misrepresent his views when he is so very clear and well spoken about them. I just always assume they don’t really want to actually address the subject. Thanks for posting this. I had not seen this yet.

Morality is not a religious icon, but the rights and wrongs of a modern society.

I have nothing but love for this man!

@WishYouWereHere I watched it the YouTube live show. It was awesome!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104981
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.