Agnostic.com

6 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Quotes on Academia by Boyd K. Packer. Apostle of the LDS Church former head of church History and education

I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys.

Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.

Faithful History: Essays On Writing Mormon History,

Some things that are true are not very useful.

[H]istorians who are Latter-day Saints write history as they were taught in graduate school, rather than as Mormons...That is not scholarship.

(secular) History can be as misleading as gossip

Teaching some things that are true, prematurely or at the wrong time, can invite sorrow and heartbreak.

The Lord made it very clear that some things are to be taught selectively, .

Those who have carefully purged their work of any religious faith in the name of academic freedom or so-called honesty ought not expect to be accommodated in their researches.

“The Mantle Is Far, Far Greater Than the Intellect,” Boyd K. Packer. 1981

There is good reason to be concerned that Nixey goes too far in what she says about early Christianity [historyforatheists.com], even Richard Carrier doesn't go this far in his dissertation [amazon.com]. Just fyi.

But still Christianity did no help to the advancement of knowledge.

Very true, they destroyed more than just the classical history. If it did not fit the paradigm, out it went. Ask the Smithsonian what they have in there basement. Academia has been protecting Christianity for a very long time!!

Etre Level 7 June 13, 2018

Philistines..& ..Thugs..

I don’t think much has changed... ?

In ancient Alexandria, Christians burned the greatest library in ancient times and murdered a Greek philosopher, Hypatia, by stripping her naked and attacking her with either roof tiles or oyster shells (translation?).

EdEarl Level 8 June 13, 2018

Carl Sagan called her the first martyr for science.

While I have no love for Christians, in Alexandria it was the Roman that burned the libraries in Alexandria, before they were Christians. Julius Ceaser, not a fan of prototype Christians (they called themselves Jews then( and hated all Jews because they would not worship him. He, a Pagan, who wanted people to worship him, burnt the libraries of Alexandria.

@Maestro My mistake

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.