Agnostic.com

10 0

When did you realize that there is no such thing as a supernatural being that people call God?

jaymr_1 5 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my mid 20's l believe. No epiphany, just drifted in that direction

In my teens.

EdEarl Level 8 June 14, 2018

When I applied the same reasoning that got me out of the LDS to religion generally.
It was just differing levels of the same cesspit.

At age 13, I became an atheist when I realized the Bible is just a book of stories written by men.

I never really believed any of that stuff and, in my teens, when I started reading properly, my conclusions were confirmed.

Athos Level 5 June 14, 2018

Really interesting comments below, I actually believe in an energy force that permeates the universe, physics went wrong years ago and did not self correct, so half the universe is unobserved by science, and it is this space that manifests the stuff folks fail to understand and just dismiss, but when you ask what is "living" and how far does living go towards "aware" energy waves are all that is, so we just arrange the information to suit our preprogrammed prejudices, a traditional view of "god" religion is so backwards that we dismiss it as the make believe of the unenlightened, but i challenge that view point, and point towards gnosticism, where you have a personal relationship with the universal energy force, the logos, just saying bless you all 😉

What evidence do you have for this energy force and how do you measure it?

I would say that substantially more than the universe is unobserved by physics, but so what? What we do see, all appears to conform to the same rules, what evidence do we have that what we can't see will behave any differently?

What evidence do you have that physics is wrong?

Some pretty bold statements there - and a load of stuff that appears to be unintelligable. Please clarify.

@Uncorrugated try reading this paper and you will see for yourself kind regards, the evidence you asked for 🙂 [blog.hasslberger.com]

@jadedhills "...only god would have that much energy to loan" is the point where I stopped reading. The classic argumant from ignorance. "I can't think of anything else - so god did it".

Lots of word salad. God, as described in all the religions I am aware of, does not exist. there is no credible evidence to back up any of their claims.

If you have a different definition of god that isn't supernatural, then it isn't a god. it's a natural phenomenon that will be observable. If your energy force is naturally occurring, then it isn't a god. If it is not naturally occurring and has some supernatural powers, then you need to provide not only evidence that it is supernatural, but that it exists at all.

If it doesn't have any effect on my day to day life, then I really don't care a tinker's cuss whether it exists or not. I'll leave that to those that have more time than me to waste.

@Uncorrugated Missed the point really what he is saying is that there is a sea of energy with no positive or negative charge, it acts like a Bose Einstein condensate, and as we cannot measure it we cannot claim to understand it, but it is where the electron comes from when it just appears then disappears in "our " universe, it is also where it gets its 16 times more energy than it should have, and all those so called "free energy" devices that "cannot work because they break the laws of physics, they ll get their energy form the sea of negative energy, also he posits big bang is not so, and tha light is actually attenuating as it travels through this sea of energy, and the doplar shift is just not so, please try and re read the paper as he is not saying anything about it "being god"

@jadedhills That is exactly what he said. No ambiguity. I understood that he thinks there is a lot of energy that can't be explained by the current known laws of physics. And he clearly stated that "only god would have this much energy to loan". He also makes the assumption that this energy is created, the language itself implying a creator. There is so much wrong with mabnt of the asseertions in the text. If his assertions and his method is sound, then he should be on the way to a Nobel prize.
Does this energy have any effect on my life and what I do?
If I pray to it will it change what happens in my life?
Your OP said that you challenge the view that the traditional view of god as being the make believe of the unenlightened - so please back up your assertion and present your evidence for god.
Because I can't find any.

When I discovered that the supernatural was neither super nor natural.

Dwight Level 7 June 14, 2018

At the same time I figured out there was no Saint Nick. I was quite young actually. I also figured out that ghosts were just a figment of our imagination. I have lived a life surrounded by family and friends who do believe all these nonsensical things. It's frustrating.
I am glad I am part of this community.

When I realised The word god was spelt backward ?

When I was sent to fucking Sunday school

Never knew they taught fucking at Sunday school .

@VAL3941 you learn something every day

@LeighShelton
Yes I do !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106591
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.