Agnostic.com

6 1

AA for Agnostics

I have been going to AA for the last month or so, and although I do appreciate the support and the message, I'm finding it hard to stay engaged due to the fact that it seems to be centered around trusting God to help you and giving up to control to God. They use the term "higher power" as often as possible to not alienate people of different beliefs but when listening to the rest of the members I find little in common with them when they say they rely on prayer.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? There is an Agnistic AA in Dallas tonight, but its 1:20 from where I live and I'm not really sure if it's even worth the drive. I'm thinking of just sticking with the group I went to last night, due the group being comprised of younger people, and just finding the message from it all that works for me.

Bagger_Vince 4 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome to the club.......... there's Facebook pages and other websites related to this very issue. There's also a group on here: [agnostic.com]
You may want to check out the Orange Papers - [orange-papers.info] The Orange Papers will demystify a lot of what AA really means.......

Here's a couple more: [atheisticaa.com] , [lifering.org]
There are alternatives out there for us.

I joined AA quite awhile ago... " I still drink, I just use a different name... "... jajaja.

Seriously, I joined AA... because it was the only (quickest) way I could get out of "the hospital".
Long story short... use it for a few (???) weeks... focus... in these few weeks, recognize "your new best friends" are struggling with their life, they need any best friend, which draws you into being their "best friend"... nothing wrong with that... helps you be honest with yourself... you gotta get on with life, I was a member for about a year... had another "WTF" moment... got out in one piece. Honestly feel that the masses are using "the group" as their social life... "a crutch" as they say.
Use it... but move on.

Tomas Level 7 June 15, 2018

That is what I was thinking. I sent need a crutch to survive.

Same here my friend. I used it as a crutch, and a social means. In the beginning of when I returned back to that group, I was fresh out of rehab and out of my mind......... Over a year later I started to experience issues with that group, and it was quite difficult at times because of the fact that I'm an atheist. I was also coerced into going during rehab and after for awhile. The whole AA experience just never sat with me properly.
I use alternatives online including SMART. I also read the Orange Papers which put a lot of that group into perspective for me. [orange-papers.info]

I got an AA in Addiction Studies before getting my BA in Sociology.

Anyway, when we covered the "higher power" aspect of AA, my professor said that a highr power does tno have to be super natural or god like. He knew of a guy who said his daughter was his higher power, and for another it was a kitten, and yet fo ranother he said it was his motorcycle. Odd as it seem these three Higher powers" did have one common denomicator. Each one evoked love and carign in the person who used it.

In a world where god often disappoints believers, even believers may do beter to use a higher powers that evokes their own feeling sof love and caring. Way too often god is lacking in this respect, when used as a higher power for purposes of sobriety.

Whatever evokes your strongest feelings of love and caring for something outside of yourself, that is your most likely best choice for a higher power.

For the Serenity Prayer, you may just want to omit the first word "god", and just use the rest as a mantra and/or philosophy to guide you in making life decisions.

In the meantime you may shop for a more nonbeliever friendly meeting. If you dont' have issues with gays, you might try one of their meetings, or if ynot then see if they have one at yoru local Unitarian church. Either woudl be more open minded about higher powers.

Hope this was helpful.

[secularaa.org]. I found online. I've had struggles like yours. Good luck and don't give up on yourself.

Have you ever seen Fight Club? I don't know if I even have a problem. I seem to be trying to find to just to keep me busy in my free time. I just moved back to texas and now I'm newly single, so it leaves me wondering to places just to meet new people.

You never know until you drive 1:20.

There are LOTS of things to try if you are attempting to make a change. AA is 40 something on a list that I found that listed most effective first... Cognitive behavior therapy is MUCH more effective. (was trying and failing to find that list just now) Do what works for you. If you find support in the group, then by all means, GO. I had a pal who used another group. I'm trying to remember the name.
There's a lot of data here: [orange-papers.info] though mostly it is about ridiculousness in 12 step.

Also John Oliver did a piece on treatment centers here:

I wish you the best and would advise you to look into lots of things and find what works best for YOU. 🙂

That was great.... Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106731
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.