Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Suicide, Stress, and Starting Over

What's behind the rise? What do we do?

Krish55 8 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a meloncholy but brilliant way, Camus nailed it
in "The myth of Sisyphus"

True, but while every piece of lit. has its eternal truth, it is also time and culture bound. The modern Sisyphus is the industrial worker - in Europe at the time of Camus and in Bangladesh and Vietnam today.

Loss of hope to effect a change, being bombarded with continuous negative happenings , lost of true human contact ...reference to texting, emojis and surface communication .
My granddaughter was bullied my her boyfriend physically and emotionally ...he used FB, texting, Instagram to humiliate her the night she took her life. The lack of impulse control damages an entire generation .

A combination of everything and anything can produce suicidal tendencies. There is no remedy or cure. The people serious about ending it don’t usually ask for help.

You're correct as far as an individual context. The article is more about the social context which creates higher incidents of individual cases in the relevant societies.

A combination of

Personally I think it is over population stress. But that's at the root of almost all of our problems these days.

[worldometers.info]

If you look at the population curve they provide as a reference and assume their extrapolation is correct we are currently an maximum rate of increase. What that means is that now, somehow, from somewhere, pressure exists to slow the rate of growth. Well, I think we all know what is likely to happen next and it isn't pretty because as a species we have ignored it. It doesn't have to be that way but it likely will be.

Suicide has practically no effect on pop. growth.

@Krish55 No sorry, I wasn't clear.

I suggesting a hypothesis to explain the rise in suicides. More people = more pressure to not-exist. Not the other way around.

@marmot84 It's far more than mere population pressure. If that were the case, the more densely populated countries would have a higher suicide rate. Not true. Holland is one of the more densely populated countries. Yet it's rate isn't high because of good social services. Our rate peaked after the 2008 Great Recession. The despair of poverty, war, are two important factors. Within that context, cultural factors also play a role.

@Krish55 perhaps and but other factors may explain the Holland data. Like an adequate social safety net, etc.

@marmot84 precisely what I said!

Major breakdown in social services for one. Dismal job market no matter what the news says. Bad people running rampant and getting away with murder. Things look pretty hopeless in america rn unless you've got money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.