Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK The Last Temptation

From the letter section of the Atlantic monthly a critique of a previous article about the Christian turn around on their morality for the sake of power. The first letter actually could be good news for us. The writer has seriously started to question his ‘faith’ and says: ”The self-serving actions of today’s evangelical leaders are not victimless. Those who have lost their faith or are turned off from Christianity entirely are the victims.” To this comment I strongly disagree they are the winners!!! All the letters are interesting reads.

JackPedigo 9 June 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have little doubt that the morally bankrupt and craven, power-mad support of Trump by evangelical leadership has caused many evangelicals a real crisis of faith. My guess though is that it's rather like the GOP legislators willing to speak out against Trump -- they are all on their way out anyway. There's no real moral courage in quitting vs taking a moral and ethical stand regardless of your political aspirations. There's no moral courage on display for example by Jeff Flake, who still votes 98% in favor of all of Trump's proposals, so there's no action behind his rhetoric anyway.

Similarly, I suspect the moral quagmire of Trumpism was only the last straw for many evangelicals, not a sudden epiphany. Until I see evangelicals who aren't bailing agitating within their churches for what's right, I will not be very impressed. Or in the alternative, the vast majority of them leaving in disgust. Clearly this is seen as acceptable collateral damage by the leadership.

I understand your feelings but I learned a long time ago trying to change an organization from within usually only leads to frustration.Quitting is the best thing they could do for all of us.

@JackPedigo I heard the other day that roughly 30% of southern baptists were opposed to Pence speaking at the SBC convention. It's a start but we need not just 30% disgruntled but still committed enough to go to the convention, we need like 70% disgruntled enough to leave the denomination.

Hey... i won big time... no more second guessing.

We are the winners

Marine Level 8 June 15, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107607
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.