Agnostic.com

2 1

What events brought you to become an Atheist/Agnostic?

(Strong Language Ahead)

For me, it was a combination of endless questioning and a bit of mental trauma...

The first kick in the head was a friend of mine who always asked me why I never believed, and I never had a good answer for him. So he asked me just to try, even a little. And I did, I tried it, and then he died. Gun accident, either intentional or just pure bad luck, but I asked myself, why would God send someone to convert me, then let him die/possibly succumb to his crippling depression and PTSD?

Then I started getting heavy into science, learning how the universe worked, finding answers to the questions I had that made sense. I was always a kid who asked questions and my dad always did his best to answer with reason.

And then my dad died when I was 21, I had to be the one to come home and find him first. It took me years to get over that...but I told myself after that, "If Gods plan for me was to take the biggest person in my life away from me, then he can fuck right off out of my life".

Since then I've been pretty anti-spirituality all together, and very skeptical of radical claims and superstition. To me, we are most certainly here by chance, nobody gave us a right to live but nature, and our very cells. Lets make the most of it here and now, and cherish those who we have in our lives. The people we love may die but their memories will never die as long as you don't forget.

So how about you guys?

Lexros_Rayzr 4 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never was anything else but an atheist. I could never believe any of the religious stories i was told, any more than i could believe other fairy tales. When i was little, both sometimes still scared me, but i did not believe them. Later, religion was just something i found incredibly stupid and contradictory.

I was always somewhat spiritual after I stopped believing in God. But I lost two people (August, then October) and I'm flickering back and forth about chance. I always felt everything had meaning, at least to me, but now I'm like... What fucking good is this? What the fuck kind of lesson is this supposed to be. I'm not learning, I'm crumbling into tiny pieces.

Sorry if it's not the exact answer to your question, but that's what your post is prompting in me right now. It would be great to have someone to discuss all this meaninglessness with.

Cwen Level 4 Dec 29, 2017

Its a good answer. Your path to a more reasonable lifestyle is not unlike my own. Its relatable for sure, and there's no shame in not knowing the answers to big questions.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10787
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.