Agnostic.com

9 1

LINK Why won't scientific evidence change the minds of Loch Ness monster true believers?

From the article;
Science is at its best when it avoids engaging with the skeptic directly and simply provides new knowledge and evidence. Science can be successful without ruling out all of the possibilities and without convincing everyone.

zblaze 7 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can’t speak for everyone else but I still believe that goddamn Loch Ness monster owes me about tree fitty.

You've got to just BELIEVE. πŸ˜€

lol

Many people need something to believe in as we know

.It has been theorised that it does exist, but it protected from gun happy hunters by officially denying it.
It has to be admitted there are sightings going back literally centuries and that it may have once existed but has since gone extinct or is a migratory species that only comes back to the loch to spawn.
Similar creatures have been reported in Cornwall, Ireland, New Zealand and Scandinavia so it could well be the loch is not it's permanent home.
OR it could be a tourist stunt that has proven very profitable for a couple of centuries.

I have a Nessie tattoo. I also have an Alien tattoo. I will probably get a Moth Man tattoo at some point....and I suppose a Squatch would be interesting too. Because....why the hell not? LOL

They always have recourse, as illogical as it is, to "well, you can't disprove it". Reality can be disconcerting and destructive of very comforting myths.

Really? They believe that Magic Sky Daddy raped a virgin, fathered himself, and killed himself for people violating rules he made. They believe Magic Sky Daddy flooded the world, but had someone save two of every species. They believe that 97% of climate change scientists are lying. They believe the government is using airplane exhaust to control our minds. They believe that the aliens are using mind control rays that can be defeated by tin foil.

But you're shocked that people believe in the Loch Ness Monster? πŸ˜‰

Ozman Level 7 June 16, 2018

Did someone say that they were "shocked"??? I know I didn't.

@zblaze No one actually said shocked, but the headline sort of implied it. won't the minds of true believers be changed? The Loch Ness Monster angle is just a bonus.

If I recall correctly, a study on conspiracy theory believers found out that the logical part of the brain was overtaken by the community-seeking part when talking about their belief, as a pretty coarse summary - the feeling of being part of the community of Loch Ness believers is stronger than the impulse to look for the truth.

MarcO Level 5 June 16, 2018

like bigfoot and the chupacabra....people will believe stupid shit

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:108445
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.