Agnostic.com

7 0

Do you believe in the existence of an historical Jesus?

MrBrown 4 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is something I've been fascinated by all of my life. I honestly don't know. My understanding is that most Biblical scholars agree that a historical Jesus did exist but I'm beginning to wonder if, despite their testimony to the opposite, they are biased by the existing paradigm.

I recently read "Jesus before the Gospels" which was excellent and helped me understand the formation of the first Christian writings. This author also assumed an historical Jesus existed though he didn't believe that the supernatural stuff happened. He gave examples of several stories that almost certainly couldn't be true. For instance, the option Pilot gave to the Jewish people - to release Jesus Barabbas or Christ as a token of Rome's good will towards the Jewish people. This would never have actually happened as it was not in keeping with how Rome ran the occupied regions.

The more I study the problem, the more skeptical I am about the existence of an historical Jesus. I'm currently waiting on two books from Amazon on this question. One contends that Jesus was a Roman propaganda project. I'm interested and will give these a careful but skeptical read. I'm also planning to read some sources supporting the opposite viewpoint.

Guess I need to clarify what I meant by Never easy - in comparison to modern typesetting. Not until the Guttenburg Bible era was documenting things something everyone could. Few could even read. Certainly no vids or actual pictures and paper was vey expensive. Thousands of years from now there may be amazing stories of Bill Gates or Steve Jobs that handed down over time turn into fables.

I have always asked this question, Thank you
I believe jesus is by far the most successful marketing campaign of all time. He was educated and well read but never wrote even a thank you note. He did not become a religion until 250 years later A little late on his return policy

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 28, 2017

The main reason I feel/think/comprehend a Jesus was around at some point is the fact it was NEVER easy to write stuff down. On some level Jesus is a great marketing tool and the possiblity exists that that is all Jesus was about. Doing good, being kind and using our minds is, for me, better than running a muck and being mean.

I keep coming back to all the stuff that was written about him while he was 'alive' or within 80-90 or so years 'following' -- that is to say, nothing. Even the New Testament was written much later.

Jesus was a Roman political creation centuries later (think emperor Constantine) to manipulate their population. I'd say it's unfortunate that the world has had to live with it since. But it's clear from the massive proliferation of other gods and superstitions that it's been inevitable because we're cursed with ignorance.

I am of the opinion that Jeebus is the compilation of several Jewish rabbis and never really exist as one person as there is no evidence supporting his existence until about 82 years after his purported death.

Maybe there was a charismatic hippy type that taught forgiveness - not such a bad thing if there was.

Son of god though?

I think not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.