Agnostic.com

8 1

What do y'all think about the southern states taking down the Confederate statues and monuments to the civil war generals that's been happening a lot recently!

stomato 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a native Georgian and have lived here all of my life. Personally, I'm fine with the statues being taken down. These people aren't American heroes. Most of them fought in the army of an enemy nation that no longer exists. I doubt you'd see any statues of Nazis in downtown Berlin (or any other city in the world).

Also, these statues are not historic. Most were erected within the past 80 years.

this statue issue is really getting stupid. human beings are an ever evolving species. we have new and improved everything else so why not put the statues in museums and fix the real problem which is where are the statues of harriet tubman, frederick douglas, carl brashear, bob marley, martin luther king, ghandi, etc... inspirational people ! of all races ! we have more than enough statues and monuments and memorials for war. if we can get millions together to fight wars why can't we get them together to help our fellow man. its easy to go to war and kill people, its not so easy to figure out how not to.sick of hearing how slavery was so long ago. the blacks have been systematically bullied from abolition til now and we still havent acknowledged their pain . we still have kkk in the streets demon-strating. its not a statue problem its a human being problem step one admit and acknowledge what we have done. step 2 get rid of judgement start accepting people for who they are no matter what culture they come from. the majority of people are good and i'm talking people worldwide.our main problem is judgement and condemnation. time to evolve! time to start mowing our own backyard before we start working on everyone elses ! its called responsibility and it belongs to all of us !

Tear those fuckers down put them in a museam and show people what the country was built on the backs of slaves.

I mean take em down replace em with Lincoln, or Harriet Tubman, not only will it piss off snowflake racists but itll be a step in the right direction.

I found it very interesting recently that Memphis, TN actually sold a couple of their parks to an entity that would take down the statues on their own. Apparently there were statutes in place in Memphis that prohibited the city from doing it themselves. So the city counsel voted unanimously to sell the parks for $1000 each. Immediately after the vote, this private entity began dismantling the statues. I hope the parks eventually return into to hands of the city. But for now, I say BRAVO, Memphis! There's more than on way to skin a cat!! (I'm not so sure I like that quote anymore)!

Take 'em down! I hope I live to see the day when the Stone Mountain Memorial is obliterated. (6)

Two comments and I agree with them both. Put 'em (the statues, not the comments) in a museum with the facts about the civil war and subsequent Jim Crow laws. Something to educate people and make them think about the behavoir that keeps racism alive and people devided.

In my opinion it is a great idea and will hopefully continue. Some Southerners call it destroying history. But to me, leaving them there is an assault on our American values. We don't erect statues to those who were responsible for the take over of this country from Native Americans, we don't honor those who were responsible for the Japanese interment camps during WWII! These symbols of the civil war represent slavery, separatism and even treason! The symbolism is not worthy of grandeur. What do you think?

Treason! I always point this out. It usually falls on deaf ears.

IMO, it was treason, for sure!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.