Agnostic.com

1 1

During the "Red Scare" (cold war between Russia and the United States during the 1940's and 1950's), congressional and state legislative panels questioned American citizens about their political and religious beliefs (McCarthyism).

In 1954, former President Eisenhower signs into law—not only the words "under god" to the Pledge of Allegiance, but in the same year, added "in god we trust" to American currency.

This was all to rally up national support and separate America from the state atheism of Russia during that period. This is by no means proof that America is a Christian nation. Fear and propaganda works every time.

Sapio_Ink 7 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wrote a book, "A Christian Nation? An examination of Christian nation theories and proofs." (http://amzn.to/2E4B5Vg) I spend a full chapter on the Cold War and the national recognition, through legislation, of God into our money and motto.

The first use of In God We Trust was during the Civil War on the penny coin only. It was done to differentiate the Union from the Confederacy.

God is being used as a propaganda tool as opposed to the religious reasons. I question my Christian friends if they want their god to be a tool of propaganda or of faith. "Both" is not an acceptable answer. Once their god crosses that line (as it had in the 1950s) it is near impossible to get the concept back across the line.

Thank you SilverDollarJedi. Yes, it is short, but I write like I teach, short sweet and to the point.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.