Agnostic.com

4 0

Is mysticism a valid alternative to religion or is it 'the same old story just a different face?'

atheist 8 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Same old, same old. The fact that your irrational beliefs are or are not written in a book doesn't change anything to them.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 13, 2017

I think there are phenomena that cannot be addressed by science, because they are isolated, unreproducible events. I'm not inclined to lean towards mysticism to explain these events, but I also won't dismiss seemingly supernatural experiences as fake just because science has yet to explain them or disprove them. For instance, I've been places where 'ghosts' and other phenomena were commonly experienced, and while I can't say my own experiences always indicate the presence of ghosts, I could tell without asking where those odd experiences tended to occur(in some cases this may be explained by super-low audio waves below our hearing threshold, apparently). I've also noticed that my intuition can be uncannily successful, and that I feel particularly sure of my choices/actions at such times, which could be taken as 'being in harmony with the universe' or all sorts of other mystical notions. I'd rather just admit that I occasionally observe things I have yet to adequately explain.

I see no reason to believe in mysticism. If it makes you happy and it's not being used to infringe on my life, I'm good with anyone who wishes to accept it. I will say I would rather people didn't, but I'm happy not to dissuade someone of that belief which doesn't want to be.

I consider it a valid alternative nowhere near a religion.

SamL Level 7 Oct 9, 2017

[huffingtonpost.com]

Mysticism is the path one takes to achieve oneness with god, the path to enlightenment. Religion is much less focused than that but strives to live within guidelines to live a godlier life not to become one with god as in mysticism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.