Agnostic.com

7 3

How important is physical attraction when seeking a new relationship?

Would you date someone that you did not find attractive if they had all the other things you look for in a mate?

Moniquee43 4 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Umm... let me take back the word “should”. I would not recommend it to be the main attraction. Now, if someone is disgusting to you, then, no amount of intelligence and the rest, may be enough. And one last thing: pictures often do not show the person as she/he really look like in person.

I think if we pay too much attention to physical characteristics, and specially if we are 50+, we run the risk of leaving undiscovered someone that may very well be ideal to spend the rest of our days. Specially in a site like this one where we put a high premium on intelligence, common sense, reason, maturity, common ideas and common ideals. Of course, let’s not kid ourselves, physical attraction does play a role, just should not be the main attraction. : )

For a realtionship to exist minds have to meet.
For a physical relatioship bodies have to meet.

If the body image of 'Person A' does not arouse 'Person B', a physical entanglement could:

• not be possible as a male needs to become erect
  • be unpleasurable due to less investment.

As far as females I've meet yes I would, and have . Being able to talk honsetly and openly is a big attraction. But to be honest the physical aspect is a usual start. I guess it all depends on how we meet. I like this site for getting past some fairly significant fundementals.

The bottom line is there really is something to what we call "chemistry", defining what that is is another story altogether, but it changes throughout your life.

The best analogy I have ever heard is that most of us carry around a composite image of that ideal mate in our psyche, both physical and personality-wise. When we meet someone, we subconsciously project that image and depending how close that person matches that image is where we determine if there is attraction.

Have you ever heard this expression men love what they find beautiful..women find beautiful what they love? Over simplified I know. I have met men in my life that I was not attracted to, and as I got to know them and like them I started noticing positive things about their looks I had not seen or taken note of before..always made me wonder.

@Moniquee43: no, I have never heard that expression, but it sort of makes sense. It seems to explain the strange way men and women seem to cross past each other on the road to love. Men are fixated on the physical, and women on the idea of love.

Absolutely

My personal experience?
I have more than a few women in my life that have become very good FRIENDS due to our common interests and experiences.
But I learned a long time ago that there is really no overcoming the physical attraction hurdle if you desire more in a relationship... unless you plan to close your eyes and fantasize every time something physical is going to happen. It is possible but not generally practical.
This is not being shallow either as whether we feel we are doing it or not, we are making judgments based on looks that appeal to us. That is why you will inevitably at some point in your life see a couple and wonder how they could possibly be together because he or she is a solid 9 and the other is lucky to be a 2 by your standards.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11350
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.