Agnostic.com

3 1

It's been long since i came up with the idea that maybe, all of us are actually not that sure about what we believed in. No one knows the authentic reality and nothing is for sure. (Oh gosh, Descartes suddenly comes into my mind) but even though this is the case, we still continue to believe or cling on such things that makes us comfortable wherein this strong "need" of ours to believe on something create wars and misunderstanding among other people. I remember me sharing this thought to so many people and almost all of them told me that I should stop for I'm just wasting my time pondering bullshit ideas. They told me straight to the point that these things that run in my head are all wrong so I asked them about what do they believe in. And then I asked some deep shits about their belief and found out that they, too are not sure if their beliefs are the right thing but still, they cling on it because the society tells them it is the truth. And yeah, hence it is proven. I then stop talking 'bout belief stuff and just strive to live in a world full of love because man, we have to help each other to at least have a comfortable life throughout our /existence/ in this unpredictable world.

johnwein0517 4 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This begs for a definition of knowledge. It seems like you view knowledge as absolute certainty that a proposition is true. This is not feasible out of the realm of definitions. For instance: we can know for sure that all triangles have three sides. But when we move onto the natural world, knowledge is obtained through induction, deduction and abduction (the scientific method, see Popper, The Logic of Scientific Discovery), which does not warrant absolute certainty. Based on this, I define knowledge as: a set of hypotheses that allow for prediction or control of interactions in reality. This knowledge is progressive and cumulative.

But then you move on to belief, which is not a subset of knowledge. It just means accepting something as true. Ideally, of course, belief and knowledge would be perfectly superposed. And if anyone values this desire the best service you can provide is to question the justification for one's beliefs. But do not assume that all beliefs grant knowledge, for the latter is a subset of the former. I encourage you to keep inquiring people about their beliefs, I think this kind of dialogue is our only hope for society.

Descarte's "cogito ergo sum" is a statement of absolute certainty, i.e. that cognition is proof of existence. Your "no one knows" position aligns more with Berkely's solopism, (a.k.a. "idealism" ) which rejects materialism and opines that ONLY perception is real; i.e.nothing material actually exists independent of it being perceived (Edward Sapir adds a footnote) . . But that is all a trip down philosphy memory lane. Modern thought moved on.

I believe that your thinking is still tied to the Newtonian "clockwork universe" paradigm in that it is based on an assumption of absolute certainties. Frankly, that is passe. Probability replaced certainty in modern thinking with the advent of quantum physics.

So, loosen up, abandon absolutism, and accept things as functionally/operationally true, given some level of probability. We operate on heuristics rather than certainty.

Let your angels abandon their head-of-a-pin dance floor.

Bernz Level 2 Dec 30, 2017

Uhm, yeah I sounded a bit like a preacher, but gosh, it is inevitable XD.

PS. I'm not preaching though, just wanna share some memories of me being a freethinker X)

You don't sound preachy at all. The arrogant and insecure among us might characterize you as such, but don't let it rattle you. Keep sharing your thoughts. People cling to their notions of supreme power and supernatural existence for all kinds of reasons, but I believe the human heart/mind is naturally open, but often suppressed by societal and interpersonal pressure and fear of the unknown. Your willingness to openly and lovingly question those notions and share your thoughts will make the world a better place. Slowly, sometimes painfully, but certainly.

If thoughtful expression and caring persuasion are preaching, then preach on!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11492
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.