Agnostic.com

7 1

Can you explain why you are for or against single payer healthcare?

SamL 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel like a way to accomplish it must be found. A huge part of the problem with medical costs in this country is that we've allowed it to be a capitalistic endeavor. There are many things that should be allowed to have competitive, capitalistic markets, peoples basic well-being should not be one of them. I realize this is more of a moral stance than a practical one, but so many other countries have found a way. We can too.

I am a Canadian and like 99.9% of Canadians I love it.

Im not really against or for any form of healthcare, mostly because i don't know enough about it to give a proper opinion

It's time to learn then should you get the opportunity to vote your choice based on personal opinion formed from research.

I’m a liberal, a Bernie Sanders supporter, I think that universal healthcare is simply the only moral approach to providing healthcare. It is also the only fiscally prudent method, this is demonstrated extreme inflation in medical costs, and pharmaceuticals. The conservatives love to try and scare people by telling them that their taxes will go up, which they will, what they don’t say is that you won’t have to pay for high priced insurance. Also, the companies that have to share the cost of expensive insurance won’t have to bear that burden. Many companies keep a great deal of their employee’s part time to avoid having to pay benefits which are primarily health insurance. Having universal healthcare will relieve that burden and allow then to make people full time workers. A great deal of the cost savings of universal healthcare lie in the fact that multi-billion for profit health insurance companies will be eliminated.

I'm for Healthcare reform but I'm undecided as to what kind of reform. I have great healthcare at my job but there are so many of my friends who need it but can't afford it. That's crazy that we can spend billions on building a bigger military but we can't seem to figure out how to take care of the health of our citizens.

It's questionable that health is not worth as much as it should be.

Pretty much sums it up for me. [usdebtclock.org]

Source:

U.S. Debt Clock

In university I once asked my math professor to explain. He did what you just did and threw a bunch of numbers at me leaving still to wonder. Maybe you could put your answer into intelligible english for a non-math oriented person?

It's more economics than anything. The debt leads to two things, lack of trust in borrowing done by the U.S. and increased inflation. U.S. money will be worth less and less and other countries will be less likely to trust the U.S. to pay them back. So, what happened in Greece and Venezuela may will happen here if the monetary bubble continues to inflate. In summary, we have less than no money and cannot afford a multi-trillion dollar plan to give everybody free healthcare. More fundamentally we would have to discuss the issue of overpriced medical care before we discussed paying for it government funds.

First, because it is tax money, we know the government does not care how much it costs nor does it care how good the service is. Second, because we are all FORCED to pay, it violates personal choice. I am in favor of a a voluntary catastrophic insurance system we could pay into to cover the extreme life threatening events. Ultimately, health care is a service offered by multiple providers and they each can choose to offer the services at different price points. If we were free to choose, the cost would come down. One other point, tort reform would go a long way toward lowering health care costs by capping malpractice payouts and reducing how much of the payout the lawyers would get.

Thanks for answering and good luck with that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.