Agnostic.com

8 0

How many times have been in a situation where you know you could or should have died but didn't?

SamL 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Plenty? Every day's a risk in some capacity but I can think of 5 especially stupid situations which were mostly my fault.

Close only counts in horseshoes and sometimes not even hand grenades. If one absolutely should have died they certainly would have. The question simply involves asking for recollections about situations falling in the outer most regions of the bell curve of probabilities. i.e. where it is thought that 99% of occurrences would be fatal. I've had a few situations where I could have died, but none where I should have, otherwise I would be dead.

Thanks for your answer.

Too, many times to count. A herd of cats would be jealous.

When I was younger, I was moving something heavy without help. I thought I was being very clever to figure out a way to move one heavy shelf unit on top of another. I had it tipped above my head level, and there was a point where I wasn't strong enough to move it. I was starting to fall backward off this precarious perch I was standing on. I knew that I fell, the heavy shelf unit would slam from up high straight onto my throat. Probably decapitate me. Don't know how I managed to stabilize it and escape... but I didn't attribute it to magic or a god. 🙂

Maybe luck through physics kicked in.

Once - 1 year 7 months ago. My daughter and her brother's mother saved my life. Literally. I wake up every morning and say, "Thank you, Grace & Michele, for conspiring against me and forcing me to the hospital." I told someone that, and they said I needed to thank god. I just laughed, shook my head and walked away. 🙂

Bravo!

Twice. Once when I was a year old and had German Measles and nearly died and the second time was in January, 2005.

Did these events change your outlook on life?

Well the first happened when I was too little to remember. The second one in 2005 was an attempted suicide and I was none too happy to wake up nearly 3 days later. I had been laid off and out of work for two years. I was working anywhere from zero hours per week to 70 hours per week doing temp work trying to make ends meet because I had long been off unemployment. That day, I lost both my temp jobs within a few hours of each other. All I could think was that I was trying so hard and the system just kept beating me down. I felt utterly hopeless and it was just the last straw. I got it together although it cost me over $20,000 in medical bills. I had "insurance" but it was worthless so it was a very expensive experience which only added to my depression.

Obviously, I got past it and got a job 6 months later for $40,000 less than I had been making and I worked there for 9.5 years until they laid me off too despite the fact that through my good work, I had increased my salary by 53%. I spent another year looking for work and eventually just gave up and retired 2.5 years earlier than I wanted to. I was trying to recover lost wages from being laid off 4 times and the recession of 2008-2009 where I lost 42% of my life's savings and which put me at great risk of living my senior years in poverty because I didn't have enough time to recover from my financial losses.

I'm loving retirement though it is incredibly hard living on just barely $25K a year. As inflation continues to go up, my economic status will continue in a downward spiral that will eventually leave me having to make choices between food and medication like one of my neighbors.

Did it change my life? Yes in a negative way because my finances took a nose dive and there is virtually no hope of recovery. That said, I am very happy in my retirement. I've met someone and we have been dating for a year and I'm 70 and he's 79. I would NEVER have predicated such a things was possible especially since I had not dated in almost 20 years. Life is strange. Sometimes you try your very hardest and life still beats you down and sometimes you do nothing and end up being happier than you've been in a LONG time. I don't think my experience changed my outlook on life. I just take it one day at a time. No, I'm not a recovering anything--well other than a recovering Christian and I am VERY happy about being out of the closet on that one!

Lol....

What do you find humorous about this post?

Just thought of all my nine lives.

Once at age 7. I was behaving foolish, and I flipped a motorboat tossing my father and me out of the boat a few miles off the coast of Catalina. The boat kept going without us in it, and the tide was pulling us deeper out into the ocean, just around sunset, someone saw the boat with nobody in it, and they turned it around long after I had flipped it. It was beyond lucky that they were able to find us.

Thanks for sharing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.