Agnostic.com

5 0

GHOSTS - Fact of Fiction? Do they exist?

Do you believe in the existence of Ghosts?
Ghost = the spiritual remnant of a once alive human being?

• 2 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 1 vote
ripcurldane 7 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just make it more interesting everting in ths universe is made of the same matter and quarks as everything else perhaps it is possible to leacve a ..for lack of better word residue or impression on everything we touch and just perhaps some can see that impression leaving the person who thinks they are seeing a ghost are seeing that impression left by the person..more akin to video or a photograph Not saying this is happening but would be way nore likely then a ghost

The only reason we can see is that we have eyes and a functioning brain. To hear we need ears and a functioning brain. The same goes for the rest of our senses. In addition, by damaging our brain, we can erase memories and radically change our personalities. I don't believe in ghosts, but if anything does survive our death, without a functioning brain and body parts, it wouldn't be able to perceive us by any sense we understand, nor would it have any memory or personality of its time alive.

I have seen a ghost. My atheist friends think I can not be atheist and have seen a ghost.I am here to say that is wrong. I was around 40 years old when I saw it. I have not seen another and expect I wont.

No you haven't.

I feel there has been sufficient video, audio and photographic evidence to say that some paranormal phenomena, commonly called a haunting or ghost activity, is actually occurring.

There's a lot of video, audio and photographic evidence of Mickey Mouse, too...

Yes, but we know where Mickey Mouse comes from, the evidence that paranormal research teams come up with, comes from teams that are most often non-profit organizations, if there is no profit motive, why would they put so much effort into duping people with fake evidence?

@Random_Madness Fair point. I'd argue that most paranormal researchers (I've met a few, having developed a keen interest in modern folklore over the years) fall into one of two groups - those who are motivated by self-aggrandisement (Derek Acorah would be a classic example) and those who are so convinced the supernatural exists that they're willing to produce fake evidence to try to persuade others (this type is far more common among UFO buffs). Most of the remainder are what I term "honest believers - ie people who search for evidence of ghosts due to their own personal interest in the subject (I have an amateur paranormal researcher friend who is a classic example) but don't argue that anything they find is definitive proof; the remainder, I suspect, either produce entirely fake evidence or interpret facts in spurious ways for their own amusement (I think the great Harry Price fell into this group and secretly spent his life finding out just how much rubbish he could persuade people to believe).

Meanwhile, there is no scientific evidence at all for the existence of ghosts (interestingly, there are experiments that create very convincing impressions of ghosts - [telegraph.co.uk]. Of course, that doesn't mean there definitely are no ghosts: not so long ago, there was no scientific evidence of planets beyond our solar system, black holes, Gracilimus radix (which has the fabulous common name "the indiscriminate rat" ) and all manner of other things. If someone is able to produce peer-reviewed empirical evidence that ghosts exist in the future, I'll admit I'm wrong - and I've certainly been wrong before now.

I'd like them to exist - they're pretty interesting, after all, and the idea of ghosts has given us plenty of great stories. I do like a little bit of at least vaguely convincing evidence before I believe in things, however!

Jnei Level 8 Dec 31, 2017

Evidence yes me too. I wish ghosts were true, how interesting would that be!!

I have seen a ghost and I did not believe before I saw it.

@Boudica I've seen what many people might call a ghost too, late one night as I cycled through the grounds of an 18th Century country house. However, I don't believe it was the spirit of a dead person or a "stone tape recording" or whatever and I'm sure that were it possible to exactly recreate the environment and situation, it would be possible to identify what created the illusion of a ghost. Like I've said elsewhere on here, though, that's just because I personally don't believe in ghosts - nobody has proved they do exist, but nobody has proved they definitely don't, either. So who knows? Maybe it really was a ghost 🙂

@Boudica I saw a demon or that garden God, his head was protruding out of a book in my bookshelf, and as I passed he winked at me, I said Gday mate. This is not a joke, it happened to me. But I was on my way to the bathroom, having just got up from a long restful sleep and I was drowsy and yawning. I just laughed as I went to the bathroom. It was 'probably, p=0.999) an illusion!

I'd love them to exist too, what an even more interesting world. And while we're on the subject, do animal ghosts exist, or is the concept only confined to humans? Monkeys? Gorillas? mmh

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11700
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.