Agnostic.com

10 0

Anyone have a positive experience with Reiki?

A former colleague of mine sent out a group message to "like" her new Reiki page and support her new business. I read up on this from a couple of sites, and on one it said something to the effect that, "for maximum benefit, you should believe in god". Huh, wtf? So, unless you are gullible, it won't work? I like this person, so I don't want to be snarky, but - has anyone had a session and derived tangible benefit?

#god #WTF
242Foxtrot 8 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had one great experience and decided to become a Reiki practitioner

My rich aunt is in to it. She took my skeptical atheist mom once. Mom said K, you are being led on. K confronted the therapist and bought the line that my mom was spiritually closed and unreceptive.

I have been involved with a practice similar to Reiki, energy healing in essence. I have no empirical evidence for its effectiveness but I do know that it brings a sense of well-being and relaxation. I cannot vouch for any permanent curative effects and, again, I cannot vouch for reiki specifically. There is a very tangible effect and sensation during administration, but there is certainly no need for affiliation or connection to a god or external being of any kind.

For maximum benefit you should believe in "god?" That sounds like they want to be sure that they are dealing with gullible people who lack critical thinking skills.

It doesn't take a great deal of research to realize that the the principles on which reiki is based are easily debunked. It's just another example of new age chicanery.

To paraphrase Tim Minchin, alternative medicine that actually works is called medicine.

JimG Level 8 June 30, 2018

The placebo effect, ones again, confusing even the smartest people. LOL

vmedel Level 6 June 29, 2018

There's no "god" connection with reiki. I've studied it and that's never come up once -- that was just that particular practitioner's connection. That being said, I was always sceptical about it until I had it done on me -- I had a bad sunburn, and a friend said, "let me do some reiki on you," and I was so tired I just figured, oh heck why not. So she held her cupped hand the way you're supposed to over my shoulder where the burn was very red, and after a few minutes she took it away -- and the burn was completely gone only under the spot that she'd held her hand over. I was flabbergasted.

Isn’t it amazing? They use the energy around us to heal.

@IAmLove Yes, that changed my mind about it.

The best bit is you don't have to spend the thousands of dollars they charge to train to be a Reiki master. Anyone can do it. Just fall still, put your hands on or just above someone's shoulders in the first instance and the energy will flow. The more you acknowledge it the more it will flow. Your acknowledgement is like turning on a tap. That will be $26, 570 for you Reiki mastership please! 🙂 I'll even send a free certificate if you want one!

@Geoffrey51 I didn't pay anything, neither did my friend.

Exactly as positive as I have had with unicorns. 😉

My daughter is a Reiki Master. our family is lucky to have her...even the dogs. we have experienced physical and mental healing.

@Fanburger LOL good one

It's woo from beginning to end.

It's garbage unfortunately. The only way it works is by placebo.

[edzardernst.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117138
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.