Agnostic.com

6 2

What do you do about inaccurate memes?

What do you do when someone shares a meme on Facebook or other social media that contains demonstrably false information? I ran across one today expressing outrage at all of the cushy benefits that people who enter the country illegally are eligible for. It was almost pure bullshit. Is it worth posting correct information?

schwinnrider 6 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the memes are inaccurate about subjects important to me, i post the accurate information with as many respected sources i can find on the issue. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes i have an interesting conversation with the person who posted it, sometimes i'm just called a libtard or worse. But since i never take things personally, i enjoy the reactions regardless of what they might be.

The one thing i know, is that we can never predict when something will resonate for someone to create an ah-ha moment. It happened often in my classes when i was teaching, so i just put it out there and hope for the best. I believe in the Butterfly effect which is another reason to do what i do.

IMO Paste a link to information that is correct. Keep in mind you are challenging someone's accuracy so your data should be triple checked before pasting it. Then politely explain why yours is the truth.

I often post links, especially if I can easily find them on factcheck.org. But: too often, folks who believe the false info are unfazed by facts.

That has been my experience as well. When presented with contrary facts, the posters often double down on their claim with no evidence whatsoever. As a retired teacher, I am horrified at the level of ignorance.

Go to Snops or other sites like it and document the falsehood. I've lost e-mail and FB friends this way but so what.

I stay off Facebook.

@Stacey48

Point out that it's not correct with credible links. They ignore those tho, and it gets into a huge pissing match most of the time. Major reason why I am hardly ever on FB anymore. Spend most of my time on here instead. I am fairly new on here, but people rarely ever start fights. One that makes me mad is when someone has a right-wing propaganda with Gene Wylder from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have to point out he was a life long Liberal! That's about as bad as posting a meme with hitler in the pic supporting Jewish rights. I usually get "but it's a a good picture" or some crap like that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118590
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.